Tuesday, March 29, 2011

The Calendar Lied to Us

Scott has been following the calendar pretty closely, and he knows where the big dates fall. For example, he knows his birthday is on the next page -- "the one with the convertible on it" (this year's calendar is classic cars). He also knows that his birthday is in the spring.

Last week I pointed out that it said "first day of spring" on the calendar. At first Scott was really excited, but when I asked him why there was still snow outside he was confused. Of course, winter is supposed to be snowy white and spring is supposed to be green with life. The view out our window looked just as wintry as every day for the last few months, and did not reconcile with the concept of spring that Scott had been taught.

I tried to explain to him that while the calendar does say that it is spring now, sometimes the warmer spring weather still comes a bit late. He didn't quite follow my explanation, concluding instead that the calendar was wrong and it would be spring once the snow melted or once we turned it to his birthday page. Essentially, he thinks the calendar is either lying or incompetent.

In the meantime, he takes advantage of the slightly warmer conditions to help shovel the snow outside. He has found that the packed snow on the driveway is difficult to deal with, so he often goes onto the lawn where the snow is softer and the shoveling is easier. He called me up at work today to tell me that there are now three paths outside:
1) to the car
2) to the big tree
3) to the middle tree

This is good, because sometime I might need to get out to that tree.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

That boy is so cute, and you are such a good writer. I love reading your stuff.

Idaho Grandma said...

I second that--love your writing. And also love the ambition of that little boy.

I agree with his confusion about spring. As I look out my window I still see a couple of feet of snow--with a bit more in the forecast. Spring? Not that I can tell.