Wednesday, July 15, 2009

They’ll Let Anyone Graduate These Days



I finished the last exam for my MBA program on April 22, but my graduation ceremony wasn’t until June 11 --- about 1.5 months later. It is only fitting, therefore, that I have decided to post the pictures from the convocation ceremony in mid-July. I guess I just couldn’t wait any longer.



Some of my classmates didn’t attend the ceremony – about half of them were missing. There were times while they were reading out the countless names of undergraduate business students that I wished I had not attended. However, in the end I was glad that I took an afternoon to formally mark the completion of my degree. The speeches were nice – with people telling us how great we are and how we’ll change the world – but mostly it was nice to wear sweet robe and feel like I’d accomplished something kind of difficult.


The Masters students get to wear a slightly fancier robe with fake sleeves. You have sleeves, but you are supposed to stick your arms out the slits instead. It makes you look like you have 6 limbs… kind of. It would only fool some people though. For example, I wasn’t fooled for very long when I saw them at first.


I had some fans in the audience rooting for me (R, Scott, R’s mom). I didn’t even think of sending out announcements or anything, so I don’t think anybody really knew it was coming. Heck, if I hadn’t had an email from one the other students reminding us about a post-convocation celebration, I might have forgotten it myself. Because it’s halfway through June, most people are probably knee-deep in their new lives could potentially forget about it or pass up the opportunity for these quality photos.


Not me. I am an MBA and I am a dedicated to getting sweet pictures of stuff.


Scotty was not quite so dedicated, and hurled the cap on the ground every time we tried to put it on him. We managed to snap one decent shot just before lift-off.

12 comments:

A-me said...

woot woooo! congrats :)

Unknown said...

In keeping with your timetable, I think I'll wait and offer my congratulations sometime in late August.

Kage said...

Hazzah!

your mama said...

I am glad that you attended the graduation ceremonies because I love the pictures ! Wish we could have been there to see it all in person ! Congrats to you for making it to the end--beginning with buying your own moving truck for the trek across Canada to getting a job and then GRADUATION. We are proud of you--(the good kind of proud)!

Linz said...

Congratulations!!
I love how easy you can be spotted in pic #5.

Lisa and Doug said...

This is awesome! I love graduation photos with the grad's children in them. Way to go!

margo said...

I'm proud (the good kind too) of you for wearing that robe and getting the pics....way to go!! They don't let you do that unless you actually graduate...you are da man.

Jennie n Jeff said...

Congrats...I have to wait till November for my ceremony, very anti-climatic.

Jessica said...

Congrats! But it must suck to sit and wait until your name is called, especially with the last name Wride.

David and Cheryl said...

Having a pregnet wife helped me get through my graduation ceremonies. My program ; "Architectural Technologies" was at the start of my ceremonies and we were instructed that we were not to leave until the very end; ie. "Welding Engineering Technologies" (42 programs later).

Thanks to labor pains a 3 and a 1/2 hour ceremony turned into a 30 minute ceremony!

An added bonus was the fact that pregnet ladies don't like their picture being taken. So the long and often drawn out "traditional photos" were greatly reduced in length as well.

Congratulations on finishing your studies.

- The Walkers

Anonymous said...

Great job D! That is some serious hard work you put in. I am applying to the University of Georgia's MBA program that will start this August. Wish me luck.

Coop

Grandma Walters said...

Well, it is okay that you did not send us an invitation! We went ahead and came to see you and give you a big hug later along with our congratulations! Glad you have accomplished so much!! Hang in there! Love, Grandpa and Grandma Walters