Monday, May 16, 2011

Record-Keeping



While at home on Good Friday, Scott said several funny things that I decided to write down:

D is near the kitchen window, zipping S's hoodie because he got cold eating leftover birthday ice-cream cake
S: Hey! There’s a squirrel out there. Out by that tree!
D: (finishes zipping hoodie, looks out the window) Where?
S: You missed it!
D: Rats!
S: It was a SQUIRREL.
(D & R laugh)
S: (puzzled) Why did you say ‘rats?’


Talking about playing Monopoly Junior Toy Story Edition--
S: I want a Buzz for Christmas.
D: Maybe you’ll get one. Who did get a Buzz toy for Christmas?
S: Dayvin [this is how he says David] and Brett (his cousins).
D: Right.
S: If I got 4 Buzzes I would share all of them with my family -- Mom, Dad, Katie and me.
D: What if you only had 1 Buzz?
S: (sadly) I would not share it. But if I did have 4, I would share them.


After Reading a Dubble Bubble comic that showed several wild animals chewing gum and blowing bubbles—
D: Do animals chew gum?
S: No.
D: Do they blow bubbles?
S: Animals don’t eat ANYTHING!
D: Really? They don’t eat anything at all?
S: Well, pandas eat bamboo.
(He saw pandas eating bamboo at the San Diego Zoo in January.)

He wondered why I got up and grabbed some paper to write something down. I explained that sometimes we write down things that happened so that we can remember them and not forget.


Then on Easter Sunday we were driving home from church and Scott pointed out a red convertible going the other way. He then reminded us of the time the previous summer that we had gone for a ride in a convertible at Grandma and Grandpa W's house.
S: You should write that down so that we remember it, Dad.
D: What other things should we write down, to remember?
S: Justin.
D: What do you mean? Do you mean Jenn and Justin?
R: Do you mean Jenn and Justin who gave you your Thomas train?
S: Yes, that is the Justin and Jenn who I was talking about.

Cute. They gave him that toy train when he was 2. He gave a similar toy to his cousin L for her birthday, so it must have been fresh in his mind.


While we are at it, here is one more quote for the records. I was in the car with Scott and Katie last Saturday morning and we decided to go to the dollar store to buy a kite. Since we were near the train station and the dollar store was at the next stop, I thought it might be fun to ride the train there.
D: Do you want to ride the train to the store?
S: No.
D: But it might be fun, since Katie has never been on a train before.
S: Yes, she went on the brown train before.
D: What brown train? Where was it?
S: It was the round one, that goes underground.
D: Round? Was it at Calaway Park?
S: No.
D: Was it at Disneyland?
S: There are no trains at Disneyland.
D: Yes there are.
S: Really? Where?
D: I don't know exactly where, but I know there are trains at Disneyland.
S: (after a pause) Dad, did Jesus create everything at Disneyland?
D: Uh, what do you think, Scott?
S: I think yes.
D: Sounds good to me.

2 comments:

Grandma Walters said...

SJooo glad you are writing them down!!! Love your cute family...

Grandma Walters said...

Whoops, forgot to read the spelling...