Wednesday, November 07, 2007

The Big Three-O


I'm sure everyone is interested to hear about my birthday. Okay. I'll tell you.


Friday night we got the boys together for a night of nostalgia, revisiting the glory days mainly through the medium of video. When we were teenagers, our favourite pastime was to make home movies -- mainly in the car chase and stunt genre. Several of these films have been immortalized on GoogleVideo, including such favourites as Bike Chase, Paint It Black, and Stunt Movie. There are a few more analog films floating around out there that are shortly going to make their online debut.


At the party we also created three new short films that will appear shortly, as soon as editing is completed. We expanded our efforts into new genres, such as science fiction, hospital drama and cop drama. What these films lack in script development, they make up for in creative costuming. Above is a shot of us converting party decorations into space gear that would make Mr. Spock jealous.


I share the same birthday with my friend KW, so it was only fitting that we sing to him as well. We jammed all 30 candles onto his piece of cake, which created a surprisingly large fireball.


My actual birthday was on Sunday (not Friday), so we got a double dose of cake and fun. The Calgary clan gathered at R's parents' place for the traditional Sunday meal -- plus a Dairy Queen cake.


Here's a shot of Grandpa M enjoying some time with the boys. Can you spot the person in this photo who's missing a soother?

9 comments:

David and Cheryl said...

My anticipation of these new movies seems to rival any christmas morning at the tender ages of 6-12 years old.

Eric said...

Paint it Black is gold, Jerry! Gold!

I look forward to future vids... :)

Jessica said...

How old were you when those movies were made? I'm just wondering how many years I have left before I see my boys up to antics like these ;)

Anonymous said...

Yo, Happy Birthday!!! Have an egg on me. Welcome to the 30+ club, it's so wicked!!

D said...

Jessica,
Most of these were made when we were about 17. The stunt video was when were about 21. You've got a few years before things get really crazy.

Anonymous said...

I am always amazed at what you were up to when you were just hanging out with your friends. Glad that you all survived all the movie making. (Made me hurt to watch the stunt falls--oh my aching back.)

I think I would keep these under lock and key until Scott is about...oh...30 or so.

Eric Jakob said...

Bonne anniversaire!

30 is big! not quite big enough for all 31 flavours from Baskin Robins but definately big enough for say a garbage can full of poutine.

Anonymous said...

Hi, we were listening to Brad wish you a Happy Birthday when he was here that week for dinner. Hope you got our Blue Mountain card wishing you the best!

Anonymous said...

Just having seen on our television some students getting expelled from school for showing some pictures they took and put on some Internet showing them with guns, which they said later were fake, I wondered how you ever got that movie done without someone calling the cops! Surely someone in the neighborhood could have thought you were killing each other!!! After Columbine and other school shootings the authorities are very leery. I even called the police when I saw a young man in the parking lot pointing a "gun", twirling it around, etc. They came and fleesed him, gave him a good scolding and thanked me for calling them. It looked like to all of us a real gun. Don't give Scott any ideas, but looks like your friends have a lot of fun!!