Friday, February 08, 2008

Goodbye Grandpa A

I am flying from Calgary to Salt Lake today for my Grandpa's funeral. He passed away in his sleep between Saturday night and Sunday morning, four years after my Grandma left us. Grandpa spent at least one full year on oxygen because of a degenerative pulmonary condition. He could feel the clock ticking, but it didn't bother him much. He described himself as "playing out the endgame of his life" -- as if it was all one big game of chess. I like his comparison because it implies two things: 1) that he was winning the game; and 2) that he still had moves to make. I don't know if that's quite what he meant, but that's how I like to think of it.

For the last 7 years since we got married we have alternated between our respective families for Christmas vacation. This is mainly because we only had the time and money to visit one during the break. Now that we are back in Calgary, it was possible to spend Christmas with R's family and New Year's down in Salt Lake City with my family. This was a particularly good thing because it was the only opportunity little Scotty ever had to meet his Great Grandpa A. I think they both appreciated the opportunity:


We will miss Grandpa. He was a remarkable man. There was no end to the man's gusto, and I don't think I've ever met his equal. It is sad to think that we'll not seem him again, but that feeling is partially offset by the thought of him being together again with Grandma.

4 comments:

David and Cheryl said...

My fondest memory of your Grandfather was when I was able to go Four-Wheeling in Moab with your family.

Taylor and and I were in charge of the menu of meals for the trip and your Grandfather questioned the specifics of what "Roadkill" was, and why it was listed as our lunch item. Taylor simply replied that it was a "joke", which then your Grandfather responded with something along the lines of "In the wilderness you can't eat jokes now, can you? So unless you want to starve you better come up with something else".

I found myself trying impossibly not to explode with laughter due to Taylor displaying his signature silent rebuttal of non-verbal communication.

It was classic Tay' and as I later found out, that was classic Grandpa A. Our prayers are with you and your family.

AD said...

My condolences, Derek. Sounds like your grandfather was a spirited man. May your memories of him be fond ones.

Sincerely,
Alex

Anonymous said...

Derek and family, Grandpa saw this on your blog a day ago, but this is the first I've had a chance to send our sincere condolences. You have lost three great friends recently - a leader of yours in the church, your Grandfather, and our Prophet, Gordon B Hinckley. It is great to know the Gospel and the reunions taking place on the other side. Know that our thoughts and prayers are with you. We know you will miss your visits to Utah to see him.
Our love, Grandpa and Grandma Walters

Anonymous said...

Hey Derek, so sorry for your loss. All the best.

D & B