Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Nursery Stowaway Meets Rabbit, Dampness Ensues

Every Sunday morning, Scott comes with us to church. He sits with us through all the services and classes, which can be a real test of his powers of concentration. Unless he crashes during Sunday School for a good nap, one of us usually has to take him out to the hallway at least once during the morning.


Once he reaches 18 months of age, he will be old enought to attend the "Nursery" instead of coming with us to the Sunday School class that follows the main service. There he'll play and learn with kids aged 18 months - 3 years, eventually moving on to a Sunday School class of his peers.

The Sunday before last, Scott and I were taking one of the above-mentioned breaks in the hallway when I heard that they were short-staffed in the Nursery. I volunteered to help out if I could bring Scott in with me. He took to it immediately -- latching onto a pink toy stroller with a little doll strapped into it until it was snack time. He loved snack time, obviously. Our little boy is always happiest when has something to chew on.


I think he did pretty well in the nursery, and didn't seem too concerned whether I was watching him or not. Hopefully, he'll still be as open about it in October, when he's legit. I tell you what, I would gladly volunteer to attend any class that gave out cookies.


Afterwards, when we pulled up in front of our house, we saw a large rabbit hunkered down next to the tree in our front yard. I quietly climbed out and let Scott out of the car to see the rabbit. The pointer finger shot out immediately and the hooting began in earnest as he advanced on the rabbit.


Scott stopped short when the rabbit ran off a few steps, but he resumed the chase after a moment, hooting at the animal long after it disappeared into the neighbour's bushes.

In all the excitement, I forgot to close the sunroof on the Jeep, noticing my mistake a few hours later when we loaded up to go to a family dinner. Unfortunately, it rained pretty hard in the interim. We had to sit on towels and R was not impressed.

Scott just chirped away merrily from the back seat, making Vrrm sounds at the passing cars.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

He looks very comfortable in the nursery. As I recall, you were just fine with the whole idea at that age. It is amazing how a snack can make everything just fine.

I love his reaction to animals--pointing and hooting.