Thursday, April 23, 2009

Beware of the Training Pool

You can do a lot of damage to yourself in a a kiddie pool only 60cm deep.

We have a family membership at the YMCA near our house, so we take frequent trips to swim in the pool. Back in January, Scotty transformed himself from a very static "stand-and-watch" swimming style to a hurricane on two legs -- streaming chest-deep through the water like a torpedo, with us scooting around in tow. It is very awkward to try to move quickly in 2-feet of water if you are 6 feet tall, since you are working from a seated position the whole time.

In one instance, Scott took a stumble and I lunged out to the side to catch him. I mean, heaven forbid that he should ever dunk his head! I managed to buoy him up without much more than a mouthful of water, but I smashed my elbow on the floor of the pool. It didn't seem like a big deal at the time.

Two months later it was still sore -- but sore in a very strange way. If I was a wearing a long-sleeved shirt or jacket, bending my elbow would pull the fabric against the joint and cause tremendous pain. I finally got an x-ray and they determined that I had cracked a piece off of the end of my elbow.

It's getting better now, but I am going to start wearing more protective gear in the pool from now on.

3 comments:

Jessica said...

Yikes! Perhaps you should wear floaties next time.

Grandma Walters said...

That's what you get for being taller than many of us!! Better luck next time and I'd love to see Scotty (and you) scooting around in the kid's pool!

Ross said...

I chipped a piece of my elbow twice. It never quite healed and now just floats around. At least all the edges on the bone have been worn downso my elbow doesn't lock