Friday, January 08, 2010

Igloo vs Igloo vs Quinzee

Almost every winter since I was 12 I have been winter camping. Strangely, I have never slept the night in a snow shelter, although I've come pretty close. As a young Scout I slept in a refrigerator box, half-buried in the snow (I'm too big to do that now). As a Venture, I was buried while digging out a quinzee (snow cave) and dragged out by my heels. Every other time I have slept in a tent -- except for one night when the whole troop sought refuge from -35C temperatures in the heated bathrooms. One other night started out with me in a tent alone and finished with me in the driver's seat of a car (I blame my leaky air mattress for soaking my sleeping bag. Since that unfortunate night behind the wheel I have been interested in finding a better way.

I think igloos are the answer. In my opinion, igloos are better than quinzees.

If you did not come up through the Scout program in a four-season zone like Canada, you may not know much about igloos or quinzees. This is from Wikipedia:


A quinzhee or quinzee (pronounced /ˈkwɪnzi/) is a shelter made by hollowing out a pile of settled snow. This is in contrast to an igloo, which is made from blocks of snow.
Differences between a quinzhee and an igloo
Quinzhees are not usually meant as a form of permanent shelter, while igloos can be used for seasonal and year round habitation. The construction of a quinzhee is slightly easier than the construction of an igloo, although the overall result is somewhat less sturdy and more prone to collapsing in harsh weather conditions. Quinzhees are normally constructed in times of necessity, usually as an instrument of survival, so aesthetic and long-term dwelling considerations are normally exchanged for economy of time and materials.


I did some research and procured two different types of igloo-building kits in the fall, which we tested last night on the church lawn -- along with some quinzees dug out of the snowbank. Here are the results:

1. Classic Quinzee (dugout cave)



The boys were pretty enthusiastic about digging out these caves, and pretty soon they had bored 4 sizable holes into the snow bank. In fact, some of them kept digging for a good 40 minutes after the activity was over -- foregoing their hot chocolate and donuts to keep at it. They were completely covered in snow by the end.
Verdict: Quinzees are pretty quick and simple to build, but you pretty much get soaked doing it.



2. Eskimold Igloo Kit (interlocking blocks)



We used these 2 plastic bucket-like forms to make interlocking blocks for the igloo wall. Unfortunately, the snow was dry and not very sticky, so it was pretty tough going. The boys had to stand on the snow in the molds to pack them tightly enough that they would stay. I think if we had better snow or if we had more molds, this method would have been more successful.
Verdict: Not a bad way to build an igloo if the conditions are good.


3. Ice Box Igloo Kit (continuous form)



This next one had me really excited. There are some igloo enthusiasts out in Colorado (including one guy with a big shaggy beard) that have been building these things for years and they developed their own equipment to make an igloo, combining elements of true Inuit technique with modern technology. The result is that you can build a decent igloo with nearly any quality of snow in a matter of a few hours. Of course, we only had about 75 minutes to work with, so our first crack at it only got into the second row. You make continuous blocks with this 3-side cube, which rotates around the center of the igloo at the end of a rod that is staked into the ground.
Verdict: Awesome.


From what I've read, the interior of a tent will be about 10 degree warmer than the outside air on a winter camp -- so if you've got to cope with -25C inside if it's -35C outside (ouch). On the other hand, the interior of an igloo can be at about the freezing mark, regardless what the outside temperature is.


And although you work longer building an igloo compared to a quinzee, building the quinzee is a whole lot wetter.


Igloo wins.


[Note: We camped in an Ice Box igloo in Kananaskis in February: Link]


8 comments:

James said...

I've done quinzees and wouldn't recommend them unless you have a change of clothes handy... as you said you get soaking wet. When you're up on the mountain that can pretty much ruin your day. I wanted to get the Ice Box for Christmas but instead we moved to Seattle.... maybe next year. They seem like the best way to build a lasting structure but also take the most time.

Eric said...

Quinzees rock! I built a single-man cave every time I go out with the scouts if snow is deep enough. That igloo making contraption looks like the bomb though... definitely would like to give it a whirl.

Here are a few shots of my cave on our last trip in 2008. Inside shot from ceiling looking down. Towards me and head of cave with sleeping bag behind. Towards foot of cave with pack in corner. Also here's the entrance from the outside... notice it steps way up to get in. The steps really help with keeping the cold out, but do make it a little more claustrophobic. I brought a thermometer with me and while it was nearly 0F outside inside was almost 30F (-17 & 0 for you crazy canucks). I really wasn't very wet after doing mine... but for some reason the scouts were completely soaked... they also worked on theirs for 4x as long. :)

D said...

Eric, your pictures look awesome. So, what are your tips for keeping your sleeping bag dry while you sleep? Do you use a bivvy sack?

I am totally converted to the bivvy sack for summer camping and I bet it would do the trick here.

D said...

James, you definitely should keep the Ice Box on your Christmas list. It is the real deal.

Eric said...

Yes, you've already found the answer. It's all about the bivy sack for snow camping in my book. Also, it sounds a bit wimpy but I also double up bags. I borrow Jamie's bag and stuff it inside of my normal 4 season sack when it's really cold. It's total overkill but I think the layers really help too. It's easy to open up a sack or even throw one out later if you're too hot. I ALWAYS tell the boys to bring two sleeping bags in the winter and haven't heard anybody complain about that request yet. :)

auntie lynne said...

Eric--is that Grandpa A's kapot in your pictures? Looks cozy !

Eric said...

Nice catch Lynne. It sure is!

...and I'm pretty sure that scout would've frozen to death without it. They all thought it looked goofy for about 2 seconds before they changing to coveting it as the best winter-wear ever. :)

Anonymous said...

me and my friends developed a quinzy strategy that is longer, but much more solid and safe. instead of digging, we build a decently high snow pile. then, we dig out the middle to make it into a entrance less fort. we then place branches and sticks in very large numbers on the top, add a large tarp, and cover the tarp in a bit under a foot of snow. finish it all by digging an entrance. we used it and it holds very well.