Monday, January 11, 2010

Peppernuts!

My Gramma W is first class all the way. In addition to having impeccable taste in literature and cinema (she is credited with introducing us to the Marx Brothers), she is a top-notch chef. Everything she makes in her magical kitchen in Aberdeen, Idaho, defines the term "homemade." So when that box arrives in the mail each Christmas with the Idaho postmark, I just go crazy.


Inside are Peppernuts!




True to the name, these little cookies have a hint of spice in them (perhaps anise?) and they are just the right size to pop in your mouth. I had never heard of them anywhere else, but after we were married R got to try them and said that they taste a lot like a cookie recipe that has come down through her family several generations on her dad's side. Apparently, the name 'peppernuts' is a literal translation from the German Pfeffernusse, and they are traditionally Christmas cookies in Germany and Denmark. That makes some sense, since that side of the family is from that part of the world if you go way back. I don't know the lineage of the peppernuts on my side of the family.

Really, it doesn't matter to me whether they originally came from Germany, Denmark, or whatever -- what matters is that these little wonders keep landing in my mailbox.


We love you Gramma W!!

4 comments:

Lisa and Doug said...

I love your Grandma W. I want to be just like her when I grow up.

margo said...

I love her too...man I wish I got a box every Christmas from her. You ARE Lucky!

lynne said...

I am not sure when Grandma W. started making peppernuts, but I know that she has been doing it the whole time I have been in the family (40 years ). She and I found a new anise supply here--twice the amount for half the price! Peppernuts in perpetuity !

jenjakob said...

Cardamon, pepper (yes - ground black pepper), cloves and the like. I think it's the pepper that gives them a little bite. I love them now!!!