Monday, March 29, 2010

Wipeout

First bike wipeout in years

1. My left elbow

2. My left hip

I was wearing my biking jacket and a spandex sleeve on my arm, and it tore a hole through the jacket. I had spandex shorts on under a pair of cotton shorts and it tore through the pocket of my shorts. It also tore a hole in the palm of my left glove but didn't really take any skin.

Edge of the handlebar got a bit roughed up but the bike came away almost unscathed. I have a steady, dull ache down my left side and a pair of bandaids on my elbow.

I was coming off of a pathway onto a road where I needed to make an immediate left turn, and there was a pretty big patch of gravel. I made this same turn without incident 3 times last week, but this time I hit it a lot faster and needed a much wider arc, which pushed me out into the gravel. It all seemed like slow motion and I remember saying, "aw, shoot" as I was skidding sideways through the gravel and reaching out to break my fall.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Nasty! It sounds like "Aw, shoot," was a pretty tame response to what was happening.

Lisa and Doug said...

What? No vomit?

D said...

Is that your tongue-in-cheek way of saying that you thought the photos were a bit too graphic?

Lisa and Doug said...

I could never be a nurse....

Eric said...

Lisa you'd get used to it quick around our parts. We seem to have a problem staying upright on bicycles in Idaho. Glad to hear the bike is now officially broken in D.