Sunday, April 18, 2010

Easter Bunny: Mysterious, but Very Welcome


Scott wanted to stay up to see the Easter Bunny this year. For some reason, this surprised me. I guess I took it for granted that kids would prefer to be bed sleeping, rather than witnessing the fantastic arrival of a candy-distributing rabbit.

No, no. You can't wait up to see the Easter Bunny.

Why?

Uh... because he... prefers to work alone.


It's funny that the idea of a bunny accessing our house unsupervised to secrete candies about the premises in the dark doesn't really faze a child. Scott's eyes lit up as we fed him the tall tale, especially when we got to the part about all the candy. I think he would have been fine if we'd told him that Count Dracula was coming by riding on Bigfoot's shoulders, so long as they were going to leave candy behind.


What is the point of perpetuating these elaborate stories? I feel a bit silly fabricating this illusion for the child that is supposed to be trusting me. Now, I suppose he wouldn't be quite as excited if we told him that we were going to wait until after he went to sleep to hide candy all over the house? It wouldn't seem quite so magical, but it would still be pretty sweet -- and truthy.



Following the tradition of R's family, we did the Easter Bunny / candy stuff on the Saturday morning so that we could focus on the real meaning of Easter on Easter Sunday. Stay tuned for that.



1 comment:

Lisa and Doug said...

I don't remember how old Courtney was but she was in elementary school and on the night before Easter she was freaking out about a bunny coming into the house and couldn't get to sleep. Inasmuch as she was the youngest and I was tired of the charade, I said, "Courtney...do you seriously think a bunny comes into the house and distributes candy?" It is rather ridiculous! I love that you celebrate on Saturday instead of Easter morning. The Glass Posse does that too.