Monday, January 21, 2008

The Weekend the Woman Went

Today I was riding the C-Train back home from a job interview and I read an article in the paper about a new TV series starting this week called "The Week the Women Went". The show takes place in small-town Hardisty, Alberta (200km SE of Edmonton), where all the women are whisked away for a week's vacation while the men are left to fend for themselves. Apparently, they picked Hardisty because it's one of those places where the men are extra manly (read chauvanistic) and take pride in the fact that they don't do much around the house. Half of the fun is supposed to come from watching the men struggle at keeping the house together, the other half is supposed to come from watching the woman let their hair down while they air each other's dirty laundry. After all, it's a small town and everybody knows everybody else.

Well, this weekend is not going to make it onto TV, and it's probably not as wild or exciting as the show the CBC has prepared, but we've got our own little version here. R had a chance to fly to back to Ottawa for 4 days on Saturday, so I've been taking care of the little man without her. Fortunately, not ALL the women went to Ottawa this weekend, so I've had some invaluable assistance from R's mom. I managed on my own until Sunday night, but now I'm staying at the in-laws' place until R comes back on Tuesday, because I have to leave Scotty at home while I go to class, job interviews, etc. I would bring him to the interviews, but I think he would steal all the attention.

I've got another interview tomorrow, one on Thursday, and possibly some more this week if these ones go well. Needless to say, there hasn't been a lot of sleeping going on so far. But real men don't need sleep. Real men like those guys in Hardisty, Alberta

3 comments:

jenjakob said...

YAY for us!!! We've loved seeing Rachelle, too. This is a big event - days without baby. I am super-excited for her - even though I'm here and didn't leave for the weekend. I don't think she aired too much dirty laundry during her visit. Tee-hee. As if you have dirty laundry!

Grandma Walters said...

Glad you survived with Helen's help with Rachelle gone. What was the purpose of the trip for Rachelle, besides having fun and not having to do laundry??? I've been so busy campaigning for my choice for President of the US that I've not checked your blog for a while. Be sure to vote for him!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey Derek,

I thought you were done school..? Are you going back for an MBA or soemthing..? What type of work are you getting into now that your in Calgary?

I never did any schooling since highschool but was considering eith erstarting a business or heading to the U of C for Business school