Sunday, March 29, 2009

Starbucks: One of Everything Please

This is what it looks like if you ask for "one of everything" from the pastry case at Starbucks, cut it into quarters, and distribute those quarters evenly among four plates:


Last year I worked for a bank downtown on a summer internship. My coworkers took a morning coffee break at Starbucks almost like clockwork, and I usually went along, buying something from the pastry case instead of a beverage. Each day I ordered something different, slowly making my way through the entire product offering. As part of my dedicated research, I noticed that the cinnamon rolls are subject to variable pricing -- rising or falling within a band of about 60 cents based on some unknown economic variable. I also decided that the rice crispy square is the best value for money and the pumpkin scone is dry, dry, dry.


Somewhere along the way, coworker TK and I suggested that it would be funny to ask for one of everything. We decided to carry out this little plan on my last day on the job. With an extension of my work term from August to December, that final day took place on 17 December.

Just as expected, the staff were completely unprepared for such a request, and they spent considerable time packing each pastry into a little bag and then putting those little bags into several larger bags. It is worthy of note that the purchase was exempt from the 5% Goods & Services Tax (GST) because it numbered more than 6 items and counted as a food staple rather than a snack.


We divided our spoils equally among the four participants, with the challenge to be the first one to finish a plate. Two who were less committed to pastry-eating dropped out almost immediately, sharing their plates with the rest of the office, while TK and I stuck it out to the bittersweet end.

My hat goes off to TK, who finished his off in short order. I credit his marathon training schedule and high metabolic rates. My downfall was the mistake of eating the more attractive morsels first, leaving the heavy granola and bran until the end when I was losing steam.

Note: I have lost 10 pounds since the end of December.

2 comments:

Jessica said...

There is a similar pilgrimage Mondays to Fridays between 2-3pm here at my office and I too would tag along sometimes. I, however, have stuck to the cranberry bliss bar when I do decide to partake.

I too have 10lbs to lose but not from Starbucks.

BTW...I have you told them that at avg. $5 per Starbucks trip per day, they're spending about $200 a month on beverages!

Grandma Walters said...

I just look at pastry and gain weight, but I still indulge!