Thursday, November 11, 2010

First Moustache

Until November 2010 I had never, ever, grown a moustache. In grade 9 my older brother C pointed out to me that I was developing a peach-fuzz 'stache and showed me how to shave it off, and I have been moustache-free ever since (peach-fuzz doesn't count, by the way). Since that day in 1991 I have paid it forward and helped many others realize that it is time to learn to shave -- something of a public service, I suppose.

In November 2010 I agreed to participate in the worldwide fundraiser called Movember, where you grow a moustache for the whole month and people are inspired to donate money to "men's health" research in your name. I have to admit, my curiousity about my unknown moustache motivated me more than the cause itself.

In the end, I only grew my moustache for 2 weeks because it was interrupted by our 10-year anniversary trip to Hawaii (and the correlated desire to look less creepy), but I was still quite fascinated with the results. It looked significantly thicker than the grade 9 fuzz-stache, except for a weak spot on the left side. Also, I was surprised to see so many different colours in there: dark brown, light brown, red (what?!), and gray (no surprise there - I've even pulled a long, gray hair out of my eyebrow before).



We snapped a few pics of the 'stache in Hawaii before we bid it farewell. Perhaps next year?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nasty as Monk.

Unknown said...

You've never looked more like Joel.

margo said...

Niiiice! Yes I can definitely see Joel there...and some Eric! So where did you go in Hawaii??

D said...

We stayed in a hotel on Waikiki Beach. I have a ton of photos to post for that trip, so keep your eyes peeled!

Jessica said...

You would have LOVED the Movember campaign we did last year. Here's a link. Some ladies in Germany were such fans the guys ended up autographing some photos and sent it to them. LOL

http://www.mcmillanmoustaches.com/

Grandma Walters said...

Yes, you are right, it is "technicolor"!