Thursday, September 08, 2011

The Toughskins Cycle

[From May 2, 2011]

I dimly recall owning a pair of pants called "Toughskins" as a kid. I am hazy on the details, but I believe the fabric was super-tough and may have had a second layer to avoid wearing out the knees while playing with cars on the carpet or sliding down the stairs or the other things we did. The alternative to Toughskins was to have Mom sew a patch over the hole in your regular jeans and keep rocking -- unfortunately, you had no idea whether she would choose a cool fabric & thread for the patch, so the pants could really take a turn for the worse (of course, that patched look seems cooler now than it did then -- Mom could see the future).

Somewhere along the line, I stopped wearing Toughskins and patches, and just wore regular jeans (of course, there was that embarrassing period for about a year in grade 5 when I only wore sweatpants, but we will try to block that out as much as possible). Now I believe I have made one full cycle, and may require some Toughskins again, because I have a 4-year-old son who likes nothing better than to "fight" with me on the carpet. As a result of all this crawling around, I have burned through the knees of about 4 pairs of jeans over the last month or two. Jeans that had lasted for years have simultaneously given up under the strain.

Sewing a patch on the knees seems unlikely, so perhaps what I need are some Toughskins.

No comments: