Sunday, January 15, 2012

The Hockey Experience



We signed up Scott for community soccer this week, and I have the autumn registration dates for community basketball in my calendar (in fact, I plan to be his coach). We held off on t-ball this year, but he'll probably play next year. People at work ask me if I'm putting him in hockey and I just shrug my shoulders. I don't know much about playing ice hockey. I can hardly skate. However, I can't deny that I enjoy a good brawl -- and that's exactly what we got when I took the kids to see the SAIT Trojans play the Clippers of Briercrest College and Seminary on Saturday afternoon.



We were only there for the 3rd period, but we saw 3 goals and 3 fights. There was such a steady stream of misconducts being handed out, there were four or five SAIT players in the penalty box at once (in addition to the 2-3 others who were booted altogether). I warned Scott prior to the game that the players might get into a fight. He originally misunderstood that they were REAL FIGHTS, as our "fights" at home are essentially play-wrestling. I think he was a bit shocked (and delighted) at the savagery of a real-life hockey brawl.



Scott locks onto any sports contest with absolute focus. Katie thought it was interesting, but she mostly focused on operating the folding seats. She gave the most alarmed looks every time they blew the horn. It was good that we only went for one period, because she was probably not going to last much longer.



In the end SAIT totally dominated, which was good for Scott, since he always cheers for the red team.



For the sake of balance, we are going to sign Scott up for an afternoon floor hockey class. That's my kind of hockey -- all of the fighting with none of the skating.

No comments: