Friday, April 12, 2013

Nail Polish Nightmare



We babysat our neices and nephews recently while their parents went out on a date. R settled in on the couch with our cute little baby nephew while we got the briefing about bottles and soothers. They had only been gone for 5 minutes when I asked R, "Are the little girls upstairs?" She thought they were downstairs, but I was pretty sure I saw Katie and Adalia heading upstairs, and I hadn't heard anything further from them for a dangerously long span numbering at least 7 minutes. I went upstairs.



The bathroom door was closed, and inside I found the girls sitting on the floor with their socks off, painting with nail polish. Adalia had strayed from her nails and had painted her toes, then her feet, then her hands then her arms. Fortunately, she didn't have a larger brush, or she could have made even more headway. Katie also transitioned from nails to skin, but she hadn't made half as much progress. When I exclaimed, "What are you doing in here?", Katie gave me a little shrug that probably meant "Yeah, I was wondering if this was a little off-side."



I just didn't know what to do. I have heard of nail polish before. I have also heard of a very strong solvent called "nail polish remover". I really hoped I wasn't going to have to douse this poor little girl in a chemical bath. In the meantime, I just picked her up and put her in the bathtub. All the while she admired her work and repeated, "Pretty. Pretty. Pretty."

I went and got R, who was still holding the baby. I offered to trade the nail polish incident for a quiet baby and she took my offer. Fortunately, the nail polish was a kid version that washed off.



Nighttime was very cute, as all the kids lined up on the edge of the bed for a story, which was a great finish to the evening.

No comments: