Monday, February 12, 2007

I Can See Your Stomach Moving

WEEK
28
There has been a lot of talk about the third trimester. Well, now it is officially here -- the home stretch... kind of. It's a home stretch that lasts for 12 weeks. If this was a foot race, you probably would not start sprinting yet. No one can sprint for 12 weeks, especially pregnant women.

How big is the baby? Well, according to the BabyCenter Calendar, he is just over 2 pounds and about 14.8 inches tall. If he were to stand up (which is unlikely) he would be about half-way up my calf.

I think the baby is trying to escape. We can't quite see what he's up to, but I suspect he's trying to tunnel his way out. Several times lately, R has told me to look at her stomach and I have seen what looks like the distinct outline of a pick and a shovel protruding quite prominently from her midsection.

R has been doing her best to keep the boy in line. When she teaches singing lessons, she goes through a series of rigorous breathing exercises that get the diaphragm moving like crazy. For a child in the womb, it is probably like running fierce rapids in a barrel. R says that the baby sometimes tries to push back against this tumult. Mostly, I think he doesn't like the way it messes with his intricate tunnel system.

You would think he would enjoy the serenade. Think of the way the music must resonate in there when R sings. Perhaps it's a little too intense. We'll see if he comes out singing arpeggios.

Or carrying a shovel.

1 comment:

Grandma Walters said...

I think he is just going to be mad if you don't name him "Henry". Or perhaps "John". Way back (1600's)in our history a man by the name of John Litster was hung, drawn and quartered for helping rebel against the king. If he was in the right I guess that is where I leraned to fight for my rights! Ha!