Thursday, October 11, 2007

Travelling Renovators


My dad just retired a month ago, and his company (which is now based in Denver) offered to fly him and my mom up to Calgary for a final trip, since he has been with the company since the very beginning, back when it was just six people in Calgary. While they were here, they took the opportunity to reconnect with lots of their good friends. We got to tag along to a really good Chinese restaurant.


My dad is not one to sit around when there are "projects" to be had. The man can't stand still. In fact I don't think I've ever seen him sit through a whole movie. Well, true to form, he hadn't been here for 10 minutes before he was suggesting renovation projects. While we were giving him a tour of the five rooms that make up our humble dwelling, he latched onto a particularly attractive reno project in the bathroom:



Some previous owner of our house was obsessed with pot-lights, and they managed to put them everywhere, even in places where they really have no business being. In the bathroom, someone had framed in a huge box over the mirror, just for the purpose of putting in pot-lights instead of regular light fixtures. Not only that, they put it about 5 feet off the ground, so I could only see myself from the collarbones down.


Dad made short work of that box.

Over the next few days, in the gaps between their many social engagements, my mom and dad helped patch up the wall and paint it. They even sprung for the cost of the supplies, calling it a house-warming gift.

Rarely do you get a house-warming gift where the giver bashes in a bunch of your drywall with a wrecking bar.


I really like the electric screwdriver that my dad got for me at Rona. He also snagged this sweet drill and driver set that had 215 pieces. It's awesome.


They finished the last coat of paint this morning, before the company lunch, and came back this afternoon to help hang the mirror before catching a 6:00 plane. They are dedicated renovators, and they make international house calls.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know it never dawned on me that that box was there just to allow the installation of the pot lights, Crazy.

Anonymous said...

We have very similar tastes with your parents. I think we have a similar light in our new bathroom. We don't share the same renovation know how. They look like they're having fun while we were sweating the small stuff. Helen

Anonymous said...

Great stuff! Your bathroom looks fantastic! Mom and Dad are headed down here at Thanksgiving, and I think we may paint and chair-rail the master bedroom just for fun. I hope they're not all funned out on renovation projects before then.

Jessica said...

Were the people living in your house before really short or something? Didn't the wet bar in the basement have an unusually short counter top?

D said...

Yeah, there is a serious short theme going on here. They must have been midgets.

Eric Jakob said...

Wow. That bathroom was night and is now day!

My dad helped me reno once. He even let me keep the Mitre saw. Kids are lucky.

Anonymous said...

Can't comment too much on this one! But sure love your BANNER with Rachelle and Scott playing Autumn Leaves!

Unknown said...

Man. Nothing like volunteer labour and expertise and materials/tools subsidization. Industrious father (or father types) are great. Good to see things are going well.
Seems like you are always going to Chinese restuarants when things are getting interesting.
I know I should have have given a holla' sooner.

F

Anonymous said...

This bathroon renovation was a fun activity and had a great ending.

Derek and Rachelle are very adventurous in their life decisions... including turning over their bathroom to some illegal aliens from the south.

Derek loves tools as much as I do and liked the power screw driver and bit set.

It was also very gratifying to have him holding the light again. Just like old times. He has come a long way in his do it yourself skill.