Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Off Road Racing in Calgary

Do you like rally racing? What about winter rally racing?


After a fairly dry November with nothing but brown grass and dry pavement, Calgary had a sudden dousing of 16 cm (6.3 inches) of snow on Sunday. Regular roads turned into rally courses as conditions transformed overnight. Unfortunately, not every driver is a qualified racer, and there were more than 200 accidents reported. I was almost party to one of them, even though I wasn't on the road.


I was standing in a bus shelter on 53rd street NW, when I saw a Subaru wagon slide wide on a left turn and bounce over a curb onto the sidewalk near me. He missed a fire hydrant by about three feet and just kept driving on the sidewalk behind the bus shelter until he could pull back onto the road again.

I left my car at home and took the bus because I thought conditions would be crazy. Now I wonder if I would have been safer in my car.

2 comments:

David and Cheryl said...

On a normal day without snow, my Grandfather misses fire hydrants by 3 feet and likes to drive on sidewalks behind bus shelters.

Our mechanic recommended that we replace our tires before winter comes because they were pretty bald. That was two years ago. I prefer to drive as if I'm in some Tokyo Drifting competition while driving though. My kids agree.

Grandma Walters said...

Just glad you are safe, whether in a car or a ped in a bus shelter.