Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Power Struggles

Based on the title, this blog could be about two things:

1. The move to try to unseat the currently-governing Conservative Party of Canada and replace it with the first coalition government in nearly a century.
2. The weakening performance of my laptop battery and the malfunction of its electric adapter amid the frenzy of end-of-semester exams and assignments.

It is about the latter.

The battery in my 2.5-year-old Dell laptop has been fading slowly. It used to get more than 2 hours per charge, but now it gets an hour or less. This hasn't been a problem, because I can usually plug it with the AC adapter... until last night. We were using my computer to host a webcast of our quarterly performance and the adapter mysteriously gave out, slowly draining the battery until the computer suddenly died, cutting the webcast to an abrupt finish.

I still had a number of important files on the computer that I needed for the truckload of assignments due this week, so I had to borrow an adapter long enough to pull all the files off. I also face a substantial outlay of cash to replace my ailing equipment.

I wonder if the economic stimulus package promised by the invading coalition has any IT allocations for harried MBA students. I doubt it.

3 comments:

Jessica said...

At work we're asked to let our battery power almost run out before plugging in the power cord again. If you constantly plug and unplug your laptop then apparently it screws up the battery life. Whether it's true or not, I don't know.

Anonymous said...

My Dell latop battery died a few months ago. Same experience you described, it was down to about 40 minutes of life per charge. I put off buying a new one FOREVER because I couldn't quite come to grips with the expense of a new battery - I even considered replacing the computer to avoid the cost. But in the end I bought a new one on ebay from this guy (http://stores.ebay.ca/sellbuz) and it has been great, now we get at least 2 hours per charge again. It was significantly cheaper than buying through Dell. There were no shortage of shady battery sellers online, but I just gambled with this guy and it worked out great. It seems like they all come from China regardless of the seller, so it's pretty much a crapshoot. I believe this guy has a 1 year warranty or something, so I think that's what sealed the deal for me.

Or perhaps you should just support the coalition and wait for them to send you a new battery as part of this stimulus package they're talking about.

Grandma Walters said...

Well, that is what we get for depending on modern technology I guess. I never got an MBA but I never had this problem getting my school assignments in!