Sunday, July 01, 2007

Canada Day #140



It's Canada Day here in the capital! Despite the occasional rain, this has been a great holiday weekend. My parents flew into town on Friday night, and we took them out to see the RCMP Musical ride on Saturday night. After warming up the crowds with the light-hearted floor show, they brought out the main event: 32 riders clad in red serge performing on beautiful black horses for about 45 minutes in great precision. The performance ends with the lowering of the flag exactly at sunset while the crowd sings "O Canada". It is a great show.


That same night (Saturday), there was a Canada-Day themed YSA dance at the church which I had been involved in planning. People came in from as far as Toronto and Quebec City (each 5 hours away). My cut-out of the Parliament Centre Block turned out quite nicely as a main element of the decorations. I used up all 11 of the ceiling panels left over from a basement renovation that we did four years ago. The dance was a great success, and I think my model was the most significant factor.


My parents came into town not just for the dances and dancing horses. They were here also because today was the big day when Scott was brought before the congregation at church and officially given a name and a father's blessing. This was my first time, and it was a wonderful experience full of emotion. I also got really warm. I asked my mom if she was feeling the heat, but she said it was just me.


After the service, we got a picture with the Dustan family, in honour of whom Scott received his middle name.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been checking all day to read about the big day. I love the pictures and I'm glad it all went well. I'm sure it was a beautiful blessing. Scott's a lucky boy to have such great people for parents -- and such an extraordinary aunt as well :)

JwRiDe said...

Love the pics. we wish we had been there. Adam can't get enough of your Movie. Its been running constantly here.

Lisa and Doug said...

What a lovely day. I enjoyed reading about it.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing the day with us through pictures. The best thing was seeing in the picture the son, the father and the grandfather all together as a threesome in the family picture. Wow!

Helen

Anonymous said...

So happy for the great day and nice that so many family could be there with you. Thanks for sharing the even via the blog. Love, Grandma Walters