Thursday, July 12, 2007

Virtual Garage Sale

Last night we put our piano and our car up for sale using a few online listing services and today we already had a lot of inquiries. One guy came by and test drove the car tonight, and is coming back tomorrow morning to take it to a mechanic. The piano will have a test drive in the morning as well.

I remember when we bought that piano, we had to comb through the Ottawa Pennysaver, which is a nightmare of a disorganized classified paper. Because listing was cheap, they had a lot of ads, but they didn't bother to categorize anything, so I had to comb through the whole paper each week to find the pianos. Now they have a web version with search functions, and plenty of other free services have popped up on the web to compete. I think Kijiji is quickly emerging as one of the best for selling things in Ottawa (and other places in Canada).

We put our stuff up for sale now, trying to make sure we could sell it before our time runs out. Now we're more concerned about what we might do if the car sells too quickly.

I think I need to comb around on there for any sweet baby gear. I want one of those highchair / boosters that clamps onto the table or counter. My brother has one at their place and it seems like such a good idea -- as long as the table doesn't tip over, I guess.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

So when is your actual departure date?

D said...

August 6th-ish.

Nate said...

When you do comb (funny, that makes me think of how they 'combed the desert' in the movie Spaceballs) you should try the non-virtual garage sales too. I hit the ones around here a lot and they are commonly filled with baby stuff. Plus it's just a fun thing to do on a Saturday morning.

Coincidentally, a buddy and I have been working on a garage sale mapping site at http://gsalr.com/. Maybe we should expand into Canada :)

JwRiDe said...

Kijiji was bought by ebay a few years back. I work with the european side all the time. Cool to hear about them doing well over here.

D said...

Nate, your garage sale site is WICKED, and I hope it spreads to take over Canada and then the world.

It's funny that cool stuff like this is so slow to trickle across the border. Even big retailers like Amazon.com and Walmart.com haven't started selling merchandise online in Canada. You can buy books on Amazon.ca, but that's it. I always have to get my stuff shipped to New York to pick it up from my brother.

Nate said...

Thanks, we'll definitely consider a push into Canada. Maybe a takeover too... I'm gonna need some more MODs.

Around here Craigslist is the popular site and Kijiji seems to just be catching on. I think eBay owns part of Craigslist as well.

D said...

Craigslist is pretty popular here, but it's been competing with a few local sites and with kijiji for dominance. I think kijiji is gaining ground on all of them.

Perhaps craigslist could play Stealth MODs and even the odds.