Saturday, July 21, 2007

We've Been One-Upped

I thought we had a pretty good story to tell about how we plan to move -- until I heard about the way a couple from church are moving out to Victoria, BC (4800 km or 3000 miles). Instead of buying a house in BC, they've decided to build one in Ottawa and tow it all the way out there. They're building it on a trailer, and it's designed so that the walls fold out to make quite a decent-sized home. I had only heard about it, but now that they have a blog, I can better understand what it's going to look like. You should check out their Folding Home Blog.

5 comments:

Eric said...

That guy is my new hero... folding houses are just plain cool.

Anonymous said...

So, how is this a cost-effective choice? Why not just build the foldable house when they get to their destination and save the cost of hauling it?

D said...

There's probably a lot of good reasons:
1. He can build it on the lot where he works now without having to pay for the space.
2. He has his family here to help him build it.
3. He and his wife can continue to live in their inexpensive home here and work at their jobs until it's done.
4. A foldable house is stinking cool.

Anonymous said...

OH MY ! What is he using to pull it out there? I am still trying to figure out the economics of all of this--the idea is quite unique, I will admit

D said...

I believe he bought a big pick-up truck to pull it. It's not a tremendously large trailer, really. I imagine it's fairly heavy, though.