Wednesday, August 15, 2007

White Ceilings, White Eyebrows

This is what it looks like if you get enough paint for renovations on a bungalow and put it in the trunk of your car:



Today was the big "spray paint day". It started early (7am) and lasted all day (the rented paint sprayer had to be back to Home Depot by 9pm). The last person to own the house was a smoker, so we're painting EVERYTHING. We used the sprayer today to paint all the ceilings, as well as the doors and kitchen cabinets. I'd never used a sprayer before, but I learned quickly that you end up with a lot of paint in your face when you spray a ceiling. A friend of mine helped with the cabinets, and he said that he has to throw away his contacts every time he sprays a ceiling.

The whole family came out to help -- even Scotty. While we were upstairs working on the cabinets, there were loads of people downstairs working on the basement. One of my brothers-in-law (not the one with the cars or the one with the printer) was painting the trim along with two sisters-in-law and R and her mom. It's crazy how much you can get done when there's so many people to help.

I couldn't find my painting clothes (in the truck, like everything else), so I bought a set of disposable coveralls. I didn't have any decent shoes (truck), so I just wore socks. The socks got covered in paint after a while, so I ended up throwing them away and finishing the day barefoot. Now my feet are kind of sore from running around in the back yard, painting doors and baseboards.

I think I'm going to sleep in tomorrow.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW ! I am so impressed with what you all got done in a day. Spraying is so much better than brushing--faster and smoother finish.

Also, so great to have so much help--you married into a great family !

Eric Jakob said...

Before the ceiling is painted you can take a trowel and scrape off the popcorn. I don't know if that is a good or a bad thing because I don't know why the popcorn ceilings even exist, but I do know that a ceiling with scraped off popcorn looks good to me. It looks a little fresco-ish.

Anonymous said...

You guys are brave! When we were looking for a new home we actually found one that fit the bill except...the previous owners had been chain smokers. The foul odour left behind was enough to completely turn us off and we ended up buying a different house altogether!

Anonymous said...

Did Helen pass on the tip I gave her to get odors out of houses? At least it works on dog smell - the pet store had us buy some skunk deodorizer powder, and add to water and scrub the carpet. Worked, and we really did not have any skunk smell! Also the fire department had us get some smoke remover spray after we had guests here who smoked and were not supposed to! It works when I burn toast, too.