Sunday, November 19, 2006

advice

During this week's reading, R discovered this segment in YPWBW (p179):
Short of taking up a reclusive existence on a desert island, there's no way for a pregnant woman to escape the unsolicited advice of those around her. There's just something about a bulging belly that brings out the "expert" in everyone.
People will see you running and say you shouldn't run. The same will be true about carrying heavy bundles, or stretching. According to the author, most of what you hear is nonsense -- old wives tales, myths, etc. The book recommends that you just take your advice from your doctor. This sounds fine, but the author is not our doctor... does this mean we are to ignore the author's recommendation, as well? What a dizzying conundrum.

The book forewarns the expectant parents of "gratuitous advice and inevitable predictions about the baby." It is interesting to note that every person who has decided to make a prediction about the gender of the baby has made the same prediction. I find this slightly eerie. What do they all know that I don't know?

I would like to solicit your predictions regarding the baby's gender. Please comment below. These are just predictions, not advice, so you are not obligated to become our physician in order to comment.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it's a boy, mainly because I think it would be fun for my own baby to have a boy cousin close in age. Are you going to find out its gender at the ultrasound?

Anonymous said...

I think it's a boy, and I rarely predict boys, so make of that what you will.

Anonymous said...

I think it will be twins, one of each.

Anonymous said...

I personally think it will be a girl. I'm usually good at predicting what people are going to have, but I have been wrong in the past...but only once!