Tuesday, November 14, 2006

maternity clothes

Here's a little quote from this week's article at babiesonline:
Your regular clothes may begin to feel a little snug now so don't try to force your body into them. You can wear elastic top pants such as stretch pants or sweats until you can either invest in or borrow some proper maternity clothing. If all else fails, borrow some of your partner's clothes if needed or just unzip your pants.

This is remarkably similar to the advice on p. 177 of YPWBW*: "Your spouse's closet will be your best friend."

It is certainly possible that R will require access to my wardrobe, but probably not yet. There is still a substantial size difference between us. For starters, I am 11 inches taller and 100 pounds heavier than she is. The way I see it, it will probably take a few more weeks of pregnancy to make up for that difference. I can't really think of anything that she could wear. I don't have any sweat pants, but maybe she could try on a pair of shorts (men's XL). My shorts are long enough that they'd likely pass as capris on her... sporty, baggy capris. Here's a picture of R wearing a pair of "one size fits all" parachute pants that I got from surplus store a few years ago. As you can see, she has 5 or 6 inches of excess waistline in those pants.

The parachute pants are quite adjustable, but they fit me almost perfectly. There is a drawstring on the waist, but I don't really have to use it. The legs are maybe an inch or two shorter than I'd like. Well, we cinched them up wherever they would cinch, and we rolled the pantlegs up a bit. In the end, they looked like they might not fall right off. R tried one of my sweatshirts, but we took it off for the picture -- you couldn't really see the pants.

So, she'll have to find some of her own maternity clothes until she gets to 8 months or so. Then she can raid my side of the closet all she wants.

No comments: