Thursday, November 30, 2006

Underneath His Beard So Snowy White

I'm hiding upstairs. I have to stay up here until 7:30.

In case you didn't know, R is a singing teacher. Wednesdays are at the academy and Thursdays are here at home. I don't want the students to feel self-conscious, so I hole up in the office until the coast is clear. Tonight I've got the soundtrack from The Drowsy Chaperone to keep me company. It can get old to hear these students sing the same song several times in a row, so it's nice to have some alternatives.

Earlier this evening, R was getting ready for her lessons by practicing one of the carols on the piano. She was playing I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus, which has the following lyrics:
I saw Mommy kissing Santa Claus
Underneath the mistletoe last night.
She didn't see me creep
down the stairs to have a peep;
She thought that I was tucked
up in my bedroom fast asleep.

Then, I saw Mommy tickle Santa Claus
Underneath his beard so snowy white;
Oh, what a laugh it would have been
If Daddy had only seen
Mommy kissing Santa Claus last night
Most carols are about things kids understand, things like snow, sleighbells, Rudolph and baby Jesus. Not this one. I remember singing it as a kid in elementary. All the students would gather in the gym and we would sing carol after carol. I still remember my confusion about this song every time we sang it.

When you are still young enough to believe in Santa, it is difficult to understand why he and your mom would be kissing on Christmas Eve.

My young mind would try to find an logical explanation -- perhaps Santa was standing under some mistletoe. If so, why the tickling under the beard? You can see how troubling this might have been for me. My confusion was compounded by fear... fear for Santa's safety. In the song, they say "what a laugh it would have been if Daddy had only seen." I think Santa would have a lot of explaining to do, and I don't think anyone would be laughing.

In fact, I think Pops would have decked him.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I completely agree, and think that song should be band from all children’s repertoire till the age of say 12 when they no longer believe in Santa, and in fact make the connection to Santa and Dad. I don’t recall ever believing in Santa but still retain the confusion you mentioned regarding that song. I think it has permanently ruined that song for me, and now whenever I hear it I can’t help but think “Those sinners! And they have the gall to sing about it!”

Unknown said...

all thanks to Priest Onome who put smile in my face again, have been looking for the fruit of the womb for more than 5 years now and due to the issues my husband and his family hated me because i can not give their son a child, i always cry all day ,One day i was listening to the radio when some one is talking about Priest Onome of priestonomeherbaltemple@outlook.com on how he have been helping women to get pregnant with his powerful roots and herbs drugs and pregnancy spell, i took faith that this man is going to help me out i collected his contact and i gave him a try , today am very happy because am 3 weeks pregnant that is why with joy in me i must tell the whole world about him so that they can be help like he did for me too , thanks you so much Priest Onome, contact him today via: priestonomeherbaltemple@outlook.com on how you will be help too.