Thursday, June 28, 2007

Insurance Limbo

I'm sure no one out there wants to read an endless supply of blog posts about a moving truck, so I'll start out with some cute pictures of Scott, and then I'll slip in the moving truck updates. Today we pulled out this pair of denim overalls for the first time and the results were so adorable, we were obliged to take pictures.

Part of the day was spent ogling our cute baby, but a larger portion was dedicated to automobile insurance woes. The day I picked up the truck in Toronto, I called my insurance company (CAA) and asked them to add it to our policy. They took down the information, but they couldn't find a match for the truck in their system. They said they'd have manually calculate the rate and they'd call me back, but I'd be covered in the meantime. With that, I drove back to Ottawa.

Today I got a call from them saying that this truck is considered a commercial vehicle, so they are unable to insure it. They referred me to the CAA insurance brokers to find a company who could insure the truck. The brokers told me that I could not get insurance on a commercial vehicle unless I had my own company and I was insuring the vehicle for company use. Basically, they told me that I'm stuck. This totally doesn't make any sense. Sure it's a big truck (a Ford F-450), but it's not THAT big.

I tried calling all around to get second opinions from other insurance companies, but it was too late in the day and nobody with any authority to say anything was still around to answer my questions. At first I was freaked out that I might have an uninsurable vehicle on my hands, but I think instead I just have an incompetent insurance company on my hands. We'll see what tomorrow brings.

In the meantime, we still have cute baby pictures to look at.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should try finding in insurance when you live in Utah, have Idaho plates on your car and you have an Alberta license with your spouse having a Utah license. Not really sure how that all happened but believe me, it's no picnic. Cute overalls-you're right the pictures were a must. :)
Brooke

JwRiDe said...

Scott looks huge in the pic with Rach. Great pics.

Aaron said...

I was thinking the same thing as jwride when I saw the pic with R. Adorable!

Linz said...

D, Love the 8's shirt.

Anonymous said...

Sure seems like CAA set you up the bomb. I've heard something similar before.

Whenever I've rented a moving truck like the one you've got, the rental companies have told me that the car insurance that comes with my credit card won't cover it, because the truck's considered a commercial vehicle.

Maybe you can set up a sofa inside and call it an RV?

Anonymous said...

Sounds like no one has any insurance ideas for you. HOpe you get that solved. Scott is looking so big. We're looking for some cute pictures for his big day on Sunday. Wish we could have been there. Helen

Grandma Walters said...

GerGood luck on your insurance! we called Rachelle to wish her happy birthday - July 3rd - and lamented that she never gets to hold the baby, but the cute picture proves me wrong. It is cute of all three of you! Now with Derek back to work she realizes how lucky she was to have him around for two months! Love, Grandma Walters