Tuesday, June 26, 2007

The Trucker's Life

Today I got to park my truck with all the rigs at the truck stop to get gas on the way back to Ottawa from Scarborough. It was pretty cool to see the gas station attendant climbing all over the front of those rigs to check the oil and wash the windows. Apparently, full service is still pretty common for truck stop diesel fill-ups. It makes sense, since it was $116 for me to fill my truck up, and it's pretty small compared to the semis.

I showed the new truck to R tonight, and I think she was almost as excited as me. We ran the electric lift gate up and down and she climbed up in the cab for a minute. It didn't take her long to notice all the grime left behind from several years fleet use -- there's a lot of spilled coffee on that floor. Scott still hasn't seen the truck. He was pretty grumpy.

After the immunizations, Scott was pretty wiped out, and R said that he kicked his legs a lot less and moved more gingerly for the rest of the day. Today he still slept a lot, but he woke up in a surly mood this evening and didn't want to go back to bed. I can only imagine what driving 3500 km could be like if he was in surly mood. Ooohhhhhh....

2 comments:

Jessica said...

One tip I learned while driving for days with babies is that if they seem to constantly be cranky or even spitting up during the trip, they may be carsick. Keep baby gravol with you, just in case.

JwRiDe said...

Ive found babies enjoy the trip if they are alert and wide awake. I suggest some coffee to keep Scotty wide eyed. He won't want to miss that awesome Sask and Man. landscape