Friday, June 15, 2007

You Talkin' To Me?


I've never seen Taxi Driver, but I know the line. Everybody knows the line, and they quote it, even if they don't know where it's from. You would think that was our favourite film, given that we quote the line several times each day.

For example, I was sitting at the table and R was standing by the bassinet when she asked, "Do you want to take a nap?" I looked up, but I couldn't tell if she was asking me or asking Scott.

I said, "Are you talking to me?"

In the past, when one of us asked a question, there was nobody else around, so there was very little confusion. These days, not only is there one more person around, that third person rarely answers the questions put to him, so you really can't tell from the context whether you are part of the conversation.

It's all very confusing.

No comments: