Monday, December 11, 2006

From A to Zucchini

WEEK
19
On several occasions in the past, I have found fault with the babycenter.com food comparisons. I hope to make amends this week. As you might have guessed from the title of this post, babycenter.com says this week that our baby is "6 inches, head to bottom -- about the length of a small zucchini." At first I found this statement strange, because I do not imagine the baby to be shaped like a sausage. But after thinking about it for a minute, I've decided that the baby isn't exactly round, either. If you are going to compare a child to produce, a zucchini is just as legitimate as an onion, or a kumquat or whatever.



Did you know that zucchinis (also called courgettes) are usually picked and eaten when they are quite immature? According to Wikipedia, "Mature zucchini can be as much as three feet long, but are often fibrous and not appetizing to eat." Zucchinis can be round, too.



With the recent knowledge that we're having a boy zucchini (and not a courgette), we sat down to look at some names. Saturday evening we trolled through an online database of names, beginning with A. An hour later, we reached Zachary & co and we still hadn't found any that we thought worthy of writing down. This is going to be a lot harder than we first thought. We are feeling the pressure to come up with something soon, mainly to stop our friends from calling the child "Parkin". If you think about it, you will probably understand why that's funny.

Here's a quote from YPWBY (p. 180) to keep you informed:
An easy way to check your iron level is to examine the inside of your lower eyelid. If you're getting enough iron, it should be dark pink.


In case you were wondering, the doctor said during last week's appointment that the baby is approximately 10 ounces, which is a hair above average for this stage. The heart beat was right on target. The only bad news was that the egg implanted a little low, meaning that the placenta might be blocking the exits when the time comes for the baby to vacate. This does not spell disaster, but they will be watching in future ultrasounds to see how close it will really be when everything stretches out.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whoopie!!! I've been super busy and not checked the blog lately, so when I read todays I realized I missed the good one yesterday, so the cat was out of the bag and we know it's a BOY!! That is good, as Walters' need more boys! Now, I knkw you'll name HIM "Henry", Ha! We are still so excited for you and it's fun to see how excited you both are. What a marvelous miracle is a baby! Love you!

Anonymous said...

Good luck with the boy names. We had a much harder time with those than the girl names -- I don't know why. Since you are stumped, might I suggest Festus?

By the way, have I ever told you how much I love your writing?

Anonymous said...

We as well had a much harder time with the boy names. Those darn girls always hijacking the names. We wanted a masculine name, i.e. not one you could read and really have no idea whether it was a girl or boy, a unique name (spelling doesn’t count!), and one that wouldn’t be mistaken for a common name when spoken. Like Jason for Dayson, or Dustin for Destin. I am not sure we really accomplished all that when we left the hospital with H, seeing as we found out J has a cousin with a girl named H and it appears more common than we would have liked. I think the Biblical names will always be safe boy names, but all I have to say is good luck, “Baby” is always a popular name.

Oh and I love you too D, but not as much as I love R. I am sure both of you will be overshadowed by B when he comes.