Thursday, December 07, 2006

Guess What? It's A ...

Baby!


Today we got to sit back and watch one of the best movies I've ever seen. Within seconds of the beginning, we could see the grainy profile of our little baby. Elements of the skeleton were particularly visible, and we saw legs kick and arms move. It was fantastic. It lasted less than 15 minutes, but it was good from start to finish. In fact, it even had a surprise ending.

At first, the sonographer said that she couldn't tell the gender, because the clever child had crossed its feet tightly. However, the baby warmed up to us in the several minutes while measurements were being taken, deciding that we meant no harm.

The technician said, "You wanted to know the gender?"

I said, "Yes, if you think you can figure it out."

She said, "I think I already know." I had been watching the screen the whole time, but I still didn't know. Instead of just telling us, she provided us with irrefutable evidence:

It's a boy. A healthy little boy.

This is a special moment in history. We are bucking the trend in a big way. On my side of the family, there have been mostly girls. On both sides, every first-born has been a girl. Look at our siblings:
D's Brother- G B G G
D's Sister--- G B G B
D's Brother- G G B G G
R's sister--- G B
That makes a total of 15 children, 10 of them girls, 5 of them boys.

We are glad to help even out the teams, but really, we're just happy to have a swelling tummy with a cute little baby in there. We liked our little movie so much, we ordered the DVD. We have a 3-minute film of fuzzy little kicks and turns, and it's fantastic. We'll post a short clip soon.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hooray! How exciting that it's a boy! Now move closer so that our boys can play together.

Apart from the obvious things (face, spine, heart, legs, arms), I am amazed that the doctors and technicians can tell what anything is. I had monthly (and then almost weekly) ultrasounds for the last half of my pregnancy, and I never got any better at deciphering kidneys, stomach, placenta, etc. I assume that everything is looking and measuring normal - which is wonderful!

How exciting to actually be able to watch your little boy. This is going to make you all the more impatient to finally meet him!

Anonymous said...

Glad to know there will be a Dirks Junior to play with my future little ones.

Anonymous said...

I am so happy for you both ! Love the picture--I still marvel at what you can and see and know about a baby before it is born. When I was having you kids, we did not know much about you until you were born. D, we could tell by how large I got that you were going to be a big fellow, but that was about all. Bring the DVD at Christmas time--would love to see it.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations. Can't tell if it looks more like Derek or Rachelle, have to wait until it appears! Helen

Anonymous said...

What news! Just don't name him "Aloisius" because I've got dibs.

Anonymous said...

Excellent news you two!! Glad to hear that things are going well.

Anonymous said...

May and I are totally thrilled for you guys. I know better than to suggest names, but May and I have plenty of leftover boy names after having mostly girls. We were convinced Natalie was going to be Spencer, but she surprised us. Gary and Allyson already grabbed that one but don't let that stop you. In May's family our picking "David" in 1985 didn't stop her brother Wayne from picking the same name in 1988 and her sister Kay from picking the same name in 1996. Pick whatever you want. Later.

Anonymous said...

Yay, it's a boy!! Everyone I know is having girls so I'm thrilled that Hayden will finally have a boy to play with! Sorry Allyson, but we're pulling for them to move to Calgary!! Good luck with the boy names. We really struggled with them.