Sunday, September 09, 2007

Big Barrel Race

The rodeo is an essential part of any MBA degree. At least, that is what I assume from my own experience.


On Friday, we had a "team building" activity at the Rafter 6 Ranch in the foothills west of Calgary. While the rain poured down on us, we stood on bleachers in bright yellow rain slickers and cheered our classmates in various equestrian events. I took part in a barrel race, where I had to ride a white horse named Merlin around a triangle of barrels. My time was not enough to win, mainly because I couldn't figure out how to kick Merlin hard enough to get him to move. My team was very supportive of me, despite my loss.

We went out Saturday to support R's dad as he officially withdrew from Alberta provincial politics, after serving three successful terms (beginning in 1997). I managed to get a little bit of his announcement on film, before he called the family to come up to the front and stand with him:



Here's a picture of us all standing together during his speech.



And one of R and Scott looking cute.



Speaking of Scott, he's such a hoot to play with these days. He's really started to laugh and giggle. Unfortunately, he usually stops as soon as I get out the camera. I put together two mildly successful clips of him laughing with his mom as they play together.



We have to keep these great moments in our minds when he stays up screaming for an hour or two instead of going down to sleep for the night (which he has taken to doing since we arrived in Calgary).

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cute stuff! I think Scott shows the beginnings of an exceptionally clever sense of humor.

Congratulations to R's dad for his years of public service. What's next for him?

JwRiDe said...

Nice footage of Scott getting in some good early giggles. Whats up with the MBA pic? You standing on a box or did this class just come up the yellow bricks from OZ?

D said...

I know, I look enormous in that picture. I guess I must be standing on a cow pie or something.

Anonymous said...

It just shows how outstanding you are already in your class. Way to go !

Just doesn't seem possible that Scott could get cuter, but he does.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for doing the pictures of the family and the video of Greg. It will be priceless in years to come. You really did catch Scott just like he sounds. Helen

Anonymous said...

Hey, we didn't know you even knew how to ride a horse, so if you did not help your team by being able to "spur" your horse, it is good they stil like you. Good luck on your MBA for months to come!

Thanks for the cute pictures, all the time! It will be interesting what job Greg will get when he "retires" from politics!