Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Life Is Better In Alberta

As part of their ongoing efforts to purge the house of unneeded items (in preparation for their upcoming move), my in-laws assembled a large pile to take to the second-hand store. Before jettisoning these priceless treasures, they first gave all of their kids a chance to rifle through the collection for anything we might want. I passed on the white cowboy hat and the purple sunglasses, but I decided to keep the shirt that says "Life Is Better In Alberta".

I passed on this scooter, but I kept the blue shirt that I'm wearing in the picture. On the back, in big white letters, it says "Alberta Seniors & Community Supports". My little niece didn't pick up the scooter either. The last t-shirt I got is orange and says "Count Me In -- I'm In With Jim". It's a campaign t-shirt for a guy who lost the recent leadership race to be the new Premier of Alberta. Can you tell I'm related to an Alberta politician?

We had a surprise visit from fellow blogger and longtime associate, T. You may recall her from a posting I made about baby pictures, where I inferred that she doesn't like babies. This caused her some social discomfort, so I was glad to include this un-staged photograph of all the babies enjoying themselves in T's lap. They seem drawn to her. It's really magical.

That all happened two days ago. Today was the first day of school for me. I had a half-day as part of orientation week in the MBA program at the University of Calgary. They provided us with sandwiches, drinks, t-shirts and chapstick (Tangerine flavour). I will spend nearly every day in this same room with these same 30 people for the next two years. At least we won't have to worry about chapped lips -- at least until the tangerine wears out.

7 comments:

Eric Jakob said...

What kind of drinks and sandwiches did they give you on orientation. It might help me decide where to go to school when I'm ready.

Anonymous said...

Well can you at least bring me my chapstick? My lips hurt real bad!

Anonymous said...

I think that last picture with your MBA shirt, blog screen, and "Independent" moving truck is very artistic. It's a conglomeration of where you're going and where you've been. Facing the future, considering the past, while the MBA program has your back. Keep this one for your eventual gallery photo collection exhibit.

Can I have your "life's better in Alberta" shirt when you're done with it?

Good luck with school.

Anonymous said...

Who knew that you get all that good stuff at MBA school. I should have skipped undergrad and gone stright for graduate school.

Good eye, Allyson.

Seems like if I was a good mama I would have walked you to your classroom today and made sure you were okay. Sorry I was not there for you, but it sounds like you did just fine on your own.

I want the Alberta shirt after Allyson--

Anonymous said...

We may have to start auctioning some of Greg's random political t-shirts when he retires. Helen

Jessica said...

Good luck with school. Oh and one of the reasons I picked the profession I'm in now is for the perks like free food. Plus, I can take clients out for lunch to places that I wouldn't normally go to because it's pricey! :)

Anonymous said...

Hey, I'm purging my house right now and not even giving anyone a chance for dibs on anything! Out it goes - to trash or to DI or it may be something I keep, for now! I am determined to do it as we are encouraging others to do it. Looks like Helen already has the right idea! And they even have a bigger house - but don't want many things "cluttering" it up!