Thursday, September 28, 2006

Icky Nappies


The recent diapers post elicited a number of responses. Clearly, changing diapers is one the highlights of having babies. It's probably in everyone's Top Ten list. Diapers would likely come in at #2, right behind going through labour.

I liked to read a blog by a British guy living in Bermuda whose wife was pregnant (they had a baby boy on Monday). He noted in one of his posts that on average, you change 2,500 "nappies" by the time the baby reaches his/her first birthday. As Sheri noted in her recent comment, that's 6 times per day.

I've never changed a diaper before...ever.

I'm not looking forward to it at all. I don't even like to wash pots and pans, so I can't imagine what this will be like.

Since I've already mentioned the Bermuda blog, I'll point out something else I found there: the Baby Name Wizard. If you liked the SSA site that ranked baby names, you'll love this. It is based on the same data, but instead of giving the rank, it gives the frequency of the name (ie: number of babies out of 1 million with that name). Not only that, it displays it all in this dynamic graph reaching back to 1880. Words hardly do it justice. You just have to check it out.

You'll thank me.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That graph is amazing! Hours of fun right there. Nice find. I typed in the different spellings of my name and noticed the graph changed each time, so it must reflect spelling popularity too. Very cool.

Anonymous said...

Though this clip might be appropriate

Anonymous said...

Okay, so I watched luke's video. It could even discourage a grandma from helping by watching that. Helen

Anonymous said...

In the "olden days" (my time) it was cloth diapers that I bought flannel and made them myself. You washed them out in the toilet, and had to be careful not to flush the diaper with the "rest". Sure saved money we did not have! Then you had a "bucket" with "treated" water in to store them in until wash day (several times a week!) Aren't you glad you live in YOUR day?