Saturday, September 30, 2006

Rub the Buddha


This morning R found a funny passage in Chicken Soup for the Expectant Mother's Soul. (A friend loaned her this book back before she was pregnant because it also had some stories about miracle pregnancies. This friend has great foresight, obviously.) The writer points out some of her pet peeves during the later months of pregnancy:

When you're pregnant, you get accustomed to hearing the same comments over and over. 'When is the baby due?' My response now: 'This year.' 'What is it?' I answer, 'Well, it's either a boy or a girl.' 'You're very big.' (This can come in several forms. 'Are you carrying twins?' 'You look ready to pop,' and the 'You haven't had that baby yet?') In answer to these I find the best response is, 'Yes, you're right, I'm enormous. I hadn't realized that. Thank you for pointing it out.'
People have a real knack for asking obvious questions. I guess they just don't know what else to ask. If you encounter someone who's university age, you are inclined to ask, "Are you still in school?" If you see someone who's single you want to ask, "Are you married yet?" You don't realize you should ask about the person's recent trip to Toronto to watch Spamalot, because you don't have any idea that they've just been to see Spamalot. Instead, we all ask pregnant ladies senseless questions about the obvious -- their expanding tummies.

Being only in week 8, R has not had any of these questions; however, she's had to deal with her own type of of awkward questions for the last few years. Since she was out of university, already married, and not carrying a baby, people asked, "Are you having kids soon?" or "Do you have children yet?" or "When are you going to have kids?" For some reason no one asked, "How many mature follicles do you think you'll get during your next IUI treatment?" or "Do you still pray every night that you'll have a baby?" or even "How are you and your husband coping with your childless state?" Sadly, people just don't know enough about your life to ask the meaningful questions that will elicit a truly emotional outburst. But they seem to do pretty well with the questions they do ask.

At first, R would sidestep questions about having kids because she really thought it was no one's business what she did with her life or her family; however, she found this often left her upset and the other person oblivious. I took a completely different tact: when people asked me questions I told them the answers... or at least some kind of answer.

"When are you going to have kids?"
"Tomorrow. We're thinking we'll just drop by the maternity ward and see what's available."

"Have you thought about having kids?"
"Yes, but we're waiting for the planets to align."

Sometimes I would just launch into a detailed chronology of our fertility woes. That greatly suited some people and completely shocked the rest. The experience was memorable enough that people would only ask again if they really wanted to hear the details. R also adapted this approach, and it served her very well. People began to understand us better, and they could ask better questions. Now, back to the pregnant lady from the Chicken Soup book:
But the worst thing is when people I barely know touch my belly. I guess they figure that since it's out there, it's for public use. Would they touch my belly in I weren't pregnant? One of my friends commented 'Maybe they're making a wish, or hoping for good luck.' I think the next time people touch my belly, I'll touch theirs.
According to Wikipedia, "The Laughing Buddha" (called Hotei) is the figure frequently used in Chinese temples, who has a large smile, a large belly and a large sack filled with precious items. The tradition persists in popular folklore that rubbing Hotei's belly will bring a person luck.

If you have to rub somebody's belly, next time skip the pregnant lady -- Hotei is the one who might bring you luck.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What is worse is to ask a woman who HAS HAD her baby when she is expecting! Duh! I got my foot in my mouth one time with this.

Kage said...

If (BIG if) I have another baby, I am totally going to touch people's bellies when touch mine...what a great idea. Though, it doesn't bother me when most people rub it when I am pg.

My fave annoying question is you are FULLy pregnant, not carrying an infant outside your body and they exclaim with a question mark tone: You're still pregnant?

yup.

Eric said...

Jamie and I know all too well what you're talking about there D. I think it may be one of the most difficult parts of the whole experience. We've actually heard rumors that people had started where they assume you're just selfish and wanting time to "play" more, etc. Tough stuff, but I like the blunt approach you mentioned as well. It's probably a pretty mean thing to do, but like you mention... fairly shocking when delivered. I've used the "We've been trying for 6 years" line before and the other person practically fell over from the retort... I know, I'm a jerk. :)

Anonymous said...

I must warn Rachelle. There is a certain person in the ward who will touch her belly at any opportunity. I tried to hide my pregnancies from this individual because I was nervous about having her stick her outstretched hand on my belly and start rubbing - whether I was 3 months or 8 months pregnant. Some people can touch your belly gently and it's ok - but this individual made me feel verrry uncomfortable - and it seems you just can't escape her. Good luck escaping the hands, Rachelle!!!