Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Hooray For Everything

We had prenatal class #4 on Monday, where we learned quite a bit about labour and delivery. There were so many bewildered questions from the floor (mainly from the men), that we didn't get to the video. In some ways, I don't feel too bad about that. I'll try to make up for it by reading a little extra from our books and websites.

As I've been reading from these and other sources, I have noticed a trend towards "celebration". When talking about physical changes and growing bellies, the authors constantly recommend that the ladies "celebrate" their new bodies. I think the maternity store had some of the best stuff in their brochures, clever stuff like "Fashion-forward maternity wear from international manufacturers to celebrate you and your Bump!" (from Yummy Mummy Club and My Bump Maternity).

I think they are trying to say, "try to see the beauty and enjoy the excitement in this big time in your life," so it is probably appropriate to use the word "celebrate." But, for some reason, there's something funny about it. It kind of sounds like that episode of the Simpsons where they are watching a football game and the halftime show features a group called "Hooray for Everything".

Come on everybody, celebrate the bump!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Boy, are our children and grandchildren spoiled. I dare not even tell you what I had to wear in our poverty when pregnant!! But the baby came anyway and was loved!