Monday, January 22, 2007

Stroller Madness

WEEK
25
Today we hit 175 days of pregnancy, leaving only 105 days until the due date (May 7). According to BabyCenter, the baby is 13.5 inches long and about 1.5 pounds.

I think I've got it all figured out -- the ideal stroller situation.

As noted earlier, I volunteered to report on strollers for our prenatal class. After a short visit to Babies "R" Us on Saturday and some online perusing, I think I've nailed down the ideal stroller solution. Of course, this is my version of "ideal", so it may not work for anyone in our class.

For me, it is important that the stroller be very compact. I've seen how much stuff people have to jam into their cars whenever they go places with their kids. This is particularly true if you have to travel alot, like us. I've been in line behind couples with children at the airport and it looks like they must have a cello and a drum set hidden in their luggage. Incredible. I would like to make an effort to keep the cargo small.

I think the ultimate example of a compact stroller was the rig we saw in the Chicago airport at Christmas this year. One couple had taken a car seat and strapped it to a folding luggage rack, which they pushed through the airport. I don't think that is the ideal solution for most circumstances, but it was pretty wicked, and it opened my eyes to the possibilities for compact stroller solutions.

I think the best solution for us is the Strolee Streak Universal Stroller, because it's cheap and it's compact. It folds up way smaller than all the other universal stroller frames -- almost as small as a little luggage cart. What's more, this is also one of the cheapest universal strollers (at $29), so it's not a huge expense. You won't feel too bad about ditching it when you have to stop using the infant car seat, since you don't have too much money wrapped up in it. This is almost like having a disposible stroller, that you jettison once you're in orbit, along with your rocket boosters.

The only problem is that it's not available in Canada. I went to the website of the manufacturer in Japan, and they say that they market their product in North America through a wholly-owned subsidiary in North Carolina. Unfortunately, the group in NC doesn't sell the items, they just provide links to distributors (online and retail). None of the online sellers appear to do shipments to Canada. If I want it, it looks like I have to have it shipped to NYC for pickup in February. We're going to need a cargo van to get all the stuff back from NYC. I hope my brother has enough room to store this stuff as it arrives. His apartment isn't much bigger than a baby stroller.

I cannot believe that all the baby stores in this country have chosen to ignore the universal-baby-stroller-frame. Babies "R" Us had none. Sears has one model, but it's wildly overpriced. Oh, the injustice! This whole situation is maddening. Why should I be excluded from the world of universal-baby-stroller-frames just because I live in Canada? Contrary to popular belief, Canadians also have an inner desire to push their babies around in wheeled devices.

Whenever I encounter situations like this, I feel tempted to begin importing these products myself, just to fill the void. I have a friend who imports stuff. He finds interesting building/construction products online and contacts the factories in China to have the stuff shipped here. He would know what to do in this situation. Most of his contacts are in the construction business, so he wouldn't be too helpful at trying to sell the stuff, though.

Anyways, after we ditch the infant seat and the universal frame, I think we'll go for a nice, light, Maclaren umbrella stroller. They look so nimble compared to the other models in the store. It's something like $100 to buy it, but I think it's worth it. I am totally crazy though. All I can think about are strollers. Strollers, strollers, strollers.

It's total stroller madness. I think I have become obsessed.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe you should open up an eBay store and sell these items that way? Just a thought. I like the stroller research, light and nimble is always a good choice. Good prices too. There is always a trade off though. Light and nimble usually doesn’t translate with rugged and versatile. We ended up with a jogger the first time around because of its superior off-roading ability. We have been on a few hikes with that stroller where, I am sure, no other stroller could (or should) have gone, we took it to the top of Sulfur mountain in Banff, along the Johnson canyon which is pretty tame, and up another hike close to Canmore that I wouldn’t recommend taking a stroller on. Now we also have an umbrella stroller because of the room-in-the-trunk issue. Honestly I don’t think you can win, I don’t think a single stroller exists that works for all situations, so you end up with multiples. Oh and to confirm you are obsessed!

Anonymous said...

Correction. The competition was for the shortest, not the longest. Had figured on the heaviest also being the longest so was trying to go for the best way to even out the prizes. Halle ended up the shortest & the heaviest by a small margin. Can't say whether Kena pushed a little harder with prizes at stake when we saw the times were going to be so close. One minute! Was a real squeeker.
I refused to buy or use a stroller. I have a thing about holding babies close to you rather than having them lay in unemotional, cold plastic carriers! When they are too heavy to carry they can usually walk. Did anyone in your class research snugglies or Gerry carriers? There weren't many to be found when I had kids so I made one for myself & one for Cathy. She was also expecting. Quite laughable when compared to todays versions!

Anonymous said...

My take on strollers - we've been through 4 of them and I'm still tempted to buy another - always in pursuit of something better. I am satisfied with the system we have now. We have the double chariot for trails, biking, roller-blading. Then there's the stroller that the baby seat locks into. THEN there's the lightweight, small, cheapo stroller for short trips. I like the idea of carrying the baby close. I even bought the baby bjorn, a sling, and a backpack (backpacks are very useful for places like airports and extensive travel). My kids are huge. Born at 10 pounds they hit 17 pounds within a couple months and ... well, they're big. I found it painful to walk around with the heavy, sweaty baby on my front. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Go to a search engine like alibaba.com when you look for your stuff. Most of those manufacturers are mainland China and Taiwan. I already have the "machine" in place to get those goods here economically and safely. (ie. inspection of goods when they are put on the boat since you have to pay in advance, etc.) In many cases if you find what you want we can get a sample for trial before we have to actually commit to bring a larger order.
As far as the strollers.... I kinda like your choice over an umbrella stroller (If replacing an umbrella stroller is worth the hassle) but that is the only one it could replace unless you have the patience of Job. A couple days of wheeling anything with less than 8" wheels over sidewalk cracks, grass, or gravel and you are ready to gut a tractor to make room for a baby seat.

Eric

Anonymous said...

Thank you kind sir for you frankness in laying out for the public your summation on the societal function of the stroller.

Now if one wishes to put a link on his or her site to yours... how would one do so???

D & R

StrollerIQ

or real names?

MG

D said...

The site is called Our 'Sesame Seed' -- perhaps that would be a good name to use? A little cryptic, perhaps, but quite appropriate.

Michael said...

My take on strollers - go rickshaw or go home. You can cart around a whole mess of kids in one of those beauties. Then, when the kids are old enough, they can pull you. The circle of life.

Anonymous said...

Why are you planning on "junking" the first stroller that is cheap and light weight? Aren't you planning on having more great-grandchildren for me??? You need to save it and use it again next time!!