Monday, January 01, 2007

Kicking Off The New Year

WEEK
22
Happy New Year! 2007 is going to be a big year for us, and we're pretty excited about things to come.

Although we rung in the new year at my brother's place, we'd begun the day at my sister's place, 4 hours away. We went out there with my mom on Friday and spent two nights. While there, we spent a lot of time talking about babies, since my sister has four adorable children -- including a cute little baby boy. I wrote my Retroactive Christmas Entry while we were there, and my mom pulled out a yardstick to help me measure the jug of eggnog. We marvelled at how small a 10.5-inch baby really is. We then compared it to 24 inches -- the size I was when I was born. Apparently, I was one long, skinny baby, tipping the scales at 9 pounds, 5 ounces.

Well, this week the baby is nearly a pound, and nearly 11 inches, so we still have a long way to go. I noticed that BabiesOnline is still mixed up on their metric conversions. They say that the baby is "30-32 cm (10.8 inches)" long. 30 cm is 11.8 inches. 32 cm is 12.6 inches. They are still pretty far off.

Here's the big news of the day: I felt the baby kick!

This morning R was lying in bed with her hand on her stomach. Suddenly, she felt a little push against her hand. She prodded me awake and told me about it and I put my hand on her stomach just in time to feel another little kick. It was incredible.

3 comments:

Kage said...

24 inches? There is no boy in D, he's all man!

Anonymous said...

How exciting that you felt him kick! That's thrilling!

By the way, that's one cute little baby in that picture.

It was fun to see you two, and the next time we do it will be you three! Thanks for the visit. Gary's working on your latest hit right now. Watch the mail for another CD!

Anonymous said...

YAHOOO ! How wonderful to feel the baby kicking ! Was fun to be with you in Salt Lake and St George. Fun times ! (I have been computerless for the last week, so I am catching up tonight.)