Thursday, January 04, 2007

United Airlines Made Me Fat


This message finally appeared on the United Airlines website this evening, at least 3 hours AFTER the luggage had been delivered to our house, and nearly 10 hours after someone called us to arrange an afternoon delivery.

I would like to point out an inconsistency. When I called United Airlines last night and tried to connect to an agent to find out more about the location of my luggage, the automated operator informed me that a connection to an agent was unavailable, and that I should call back later. This was pretty frustrating. The operator then recommended that I check the website, because it contained the most up-to-date information.

This is the inconsistency. Obviously, the United website lags behind reality significantly, yet they try to pacify you by saying the website is your best source of information.

Lies.

I am glad to have my bags back, but I did not appreciate the lack of information on the part of United. I was growing concerned that I might never see my bags, just because they couldn't keep the online database up-to-date... or accurate.

Several times I queried the system and got information about OTHER PEOPLE'S BAGS, intermingled with my own information. For example, one query brought back a list of 4 green, zippered bags which belonged to someone surnamed Moy who lives in Los Angeles and contributed $500 to John Kerry's presidential campaign (thanks Google for the link). The delivery address was in LA, but the telephone number was mine. The itinerary was also mine. For a few minutes, I was concerned that my bags would end up in LA. I queried the system again and came up with a different result -- this time with an address in Michigan or something. The third time, I came up with my own information again. Needless to say, this did little to boost my confidence in United's competence. Why have a tracking system that doesn't work? All it does is freak people out.

In unrelated news, we went to the doctor today and had a very positive checkup. R learned that she gained 8 pounds in the last month and the doctor ribbed her a little bit about her holiday feasting. We figure she's up about 15 pounds from her pre-pregnancy weight. She's not the only one. I packed on some weight over the holidays. For almost 2 weeks, every meal we ate was a feast, and physical activity was nil -- unless playing darts counts.

I blame United Airlines for the weight gain... them and John Kerry.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Doesn't it make you a little concerned that an airline that has no good way of tracking its luggage may also begin to lose its passengers? It seems like those two processes aren't so different. I'd be very wary of this airline.

Anonymous said...

They have had some money problems in the last few years--hmmmmm, wonder why! Glad to hear that you and your luggage have been reunited. Wonder how Moy in LA is doing ?

Anonymous said...

Well I'd be disppointed if R actually went on an airplane without some kind of adventure. And you get the pleasure of this bonus, D, just for being married to R!