Saturday, January 20, 2007

Jolly Holiday With Mary

I made my first visit to "Babies Я Us" today. It will probably not be the last.

"Babies Я Us" is part of "Toys Я Us", but it's got baby stuff instead of just toys. I had no idea it existed until recently. We went there to buy a Snoogle, which is a strange-looking snake of a pillow that helps pregnant ladies to sleep more comfortably. We were pleasantly surprised to find that the $60 item was marked down to $50 this week. Because this item is for R and not for the baby, our streak is still alive (the streak of not buying any baby stuff yet -- maternity stuff doesn't count).

We looked at a few changing tables and things while we were there, but I think we can find better deals on this stuff online. Of course, most of the online deals only ship to the US, so we'll have it sent to my brother's place in NYC and pick it up in February.

That's right, we're headed back to NYC. We figured we needed to get down there and see Mary Poppins before the baby comes, because we might not get another chance for a while. Plus, we love to visit the big city in all sorts of inclement weather. So, all of you residents of Astoria, be informed that the Ottawa cousins are coming to town!

We're also considering getting tickets to the "25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee", but that one's up in the air. I'd appreciate anyone's feedback on that show and whether they think we should keep it on our list.

Funny thing. My brother actually went to watch a spelling bee today. Given the low admission charge (free), it was probably much cheaper than the Broadway version, but likely less musical.

5 comments:

Kage said...

I think spelling bee is one of the more brillianter shows I have seen. I would vote for that over Poppins...but that's just me. We close on our condo on the 21st...maybe you can come see it?

Owen Temby said...

the spelling bee rocks. Let's talk broadway shows and New York city. Remind me when you see me.

Anonymous said...

I sure hope that you bought the "pillow" and it appeared you did as it was on sale! Oh, how I wish some it was available a LONG time ago. I may still look into one as it would be "all-in-one-pillow" for me, who now needs three for the same purposes. (No, I'm not pregnant, but I have to sleep like one, ha)

D said...

By way of report, let me say that we bought the Spelling Bee tickets and the Snoogle worked quite well on its maiden voyage.

D said...

Another report: my brother got violently ill Saturday night and missed the free spelling bee because he threw up four times. He suspects it was something that he ate the night before. He's okay now, he says.