Monday, March 19, 2007

Big Kicks

WEEK
33
Welcome to Week 33. We are officially close enough to the date to start really panicking. There are fewer than fifty days until the anticipated date when a little baby is to arrive in our lives and change everything. R doesn't feel very prepared. Luckily, she has her sister and her mother to help her out. They went out shopping today, to get the essentials of motherhood.

She showed me what they got, and as she pulled each item from the bag, I was reminded again of how little I really know about this business. I've read a few articles about pregnancy from trusty old BabyCenter.com, but I haven't really even scratched the surface.

Speaking of BabyCenter, this week's info says that baby is over 4 pounds and about 17.2 inches. The length is rapidly approaching the final birth length. How exciting.

According to BabyCenter, these growing limbs should continue to kick just as much as ever. They encourage you to pay attention to the frequency of the kicks, in case the baby is in distress. In our case, I think there aren't any issues, since we see plenty of evidence of kicking. In fact, last night I was lying in bed and I was jolted awake by what felt like a kick in the back.

It turns out I was right. R doubled up her knees and smoked me in the kidneys because she felt like I was taking up too much space.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the title of this segment, especially after reading about R giving you a good 'heel stomp, heel stomp.' Yeah, funny how little a parent knows going into parenting. Just when you think you have it, here comes another curve. - President of the Kids

Anonymous said...

Just think. All first babies are born to novice parents--they get to learn together. Relax and enjoy the adventure.

Anonymous said...

Listen to your mom, she has some good advice!