Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Towering Above Catan

Anyone who knows anything about the province of Alberta knows that it is one of the hottest real estate markets around, registering incredible increases in housing prices month after month. The booming economy and the corollary demand for housing has propelled the construction market to record levels, particularly in Calgary.

However, development in Calgary reached entirely new heights yesterday in spectacular fashion, as an adventurous group settled Catan 525 feet in the air.

The Calgary Tower was built in 1967-1968 to mark Canada's Centennial year. For only a brief period, it was the tallest building in Canada, but it still hangs onto the distinction of "the tourist observation deck at the highest elevation above sea level (3965 feet)" -- a rather weak claim to fame, but a claim nonetheless. The observation deck contains several round tables and cushy stools. These tables and stools are ideally formed for a game of Settlers of Catan.


In my opinion, Settlers of Catan is the new Monopoly (but better). This is because it is a party game that is easy to learn, requires a clever balance of luck and skill, and can be played in under an hour. I have personally taken part in over a hundred games, and I can vouch for its quality. I am sure I will play in a hundred more. Until yesterday, I had never played at such a high altitude.


In many respects the game is the same, even 525 feet high. There were a few important differences, however. The winds were strong enough that the tower swayed gently, giving the impression that we were on a boat. I asked the girl working in the gift shop if she ever gets seasick. She showed me a bottle of Gravol that keeps her going on windy days.

Another difference was the astounding number of men in black jeans and short hats, striding about the deck in groups, stopping occasionally to peer over our shoulders. It was slightly unnerving. Apparently, a group from a local Hutterite colony was up visiting the tower.

I am sad to say that I was not able to carry off the victory on this particular day. El Dubya won the first game (a nice consolation after his lackluster outing to Ed's Rec Room), and Luke won the second. I don't want to hear any more complaining from any quarter about my domination of this game. I lost at the tower, so I can lose anywhere.


Although I have considerable photographic evidence from the event, we neglected to have witnesses sign an affidavit regarding our achievement. It therefore seems unlikely that we will take our rightful place in the Guiness Book of World Records for "The Highest Altitude Ever For A Game Of Settlers Of Catan Played In A Tourist Observation Deck".

There will be other days, and other observation decks, I'm sure.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaammmmmmm!!!!!!!!

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

What else can I say?

Anonymous said...

Your accomplishments still astound me. I am so proud ! Will there be T-shirts available ?

Linz said...

I have yet to be involved in a game of settlers that is less than an hour (probably because every time I play people have to explain things to me...guess I should play more often). NTG's brother lived in Germany for a few years and to this day they play all the time and have the 3-D version, all of the extension packs, etc. They are Settlers (or Siedler in German) Fanatics! I should e-mail them the link to this post.

Jessica said...

lol...in Lethbridge, Thursdays were Hutterite days. They always came into town on Thursdays.

Anonymous said...

I was thinking about the Calgary Tower after I read your blog. One time we were taking our friends from Roosevelt, Utah on a tour of Calgary. We took them up to the observation deck of the Tower. As we looked up at the skylights, there were some people looking down at us. I yelled out, "Hey, we know them !" It turned out it was our neighbors, the Zemps, who had the window cleaning contract for the Towers. Alan and two of his sons were out on top of the Tower washing the windows. Now that is a job I would NEVER EVER want. One of the sons had a thing about heights and was not too thrilled to be there either. They had ropes around their waists so if the wind blew them to the edge the others could pull them back from falling.

Reminds me a bit of J's job one Christmas--putting the lights on the outside of the AGT building from a swing stage. I still can't believe we thought that was an okay idea.

Anonymous said...

Never heard of the game, so you've lost me completely! Oh, well...

D said...

Mom, the t-shirts are a great idea. I think I'll do that. Do you want one?

Anonymous said...

Of course I want one !

Anonymous said...

So I take you to the top of the tower and some how you manage to forget to mention me in the blog. All that hard work for nothing. Guess I'm just not important.

D said...

You're in two of the pictures (3 if you count the shot of your feet), so I don't think you should feel left out. I'm not in any of the pictures.

Without you, none of this would have been possible. I just want everyone to know that.