Thursday, March 08, 2007

Old Hair

I started getting grey hairs before I was twenty. Now that I'm almost thirty years old, hardly a week goes by without somebody making a surprised comment about my greying temples. The more it happens, the older I feel.

It's not just the colour of my hair that points to my progressing age. It's also the style of my hair.

Male hairstyles follow a certain trajectory as life moves along. They start off low, without any fancy hair products or complicated hairstyles. In junior high, boys discover their hair and the many possibilities, effectively blasting off. As they strive for individuality, there is a tendency to overdo it. That's how I did it.

In Grade 7, I used mousse, a brush, a hairdryer and hairspray to carefully sculp my impressive wave of hair.

Once you get into high school, you ease off a little bit as you find a more sustainable level of hair care. This leveling-off continues into university. The hairstyle continues to lose some steam with passing years.

If you look around, you'll notice that older men don't have wild hairdos (Einstein notwithstanding). They settle into something practical and they pretty much stick with it for the rest of their lives (as long is there is still some hair to work with).

I haven't been doing anything with my hair lately. Mainly I just forget. Perhaps it's just malaise, but I think it might be age. Sometimes it feels strangely negligent that I could forget about something that used to be so important, but it also feels liberating. Maybe it's just a phase. Maybe I'm getting old.

And all the while, the grey hairs just keep coming.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't remember seeing any grey hair -- and I'm not even just saying that to be nice.

I think it is a further injustice that grey hair is coarser than its pigmented neighbors and therefore draws additional attention to itself by sticking out and waving to everyone instead of comforming with the other more submissive hair. Perhaps that isn't so much of a problem with very short hair.

Anonymous said...

Because I don't really like getting hair cuts, I find that my hair stile now tends to follow your life cycle in short waves. I get my hair cut maybe every 3 months, it starts off short, which is where my creativity can come in, as it grows the creativity starts to look more and more absurd and I style it more and more conservatively until finally I get out of the shower and pat it flat with my hand and I’m done. I keep this style for the latter half of my cycle until the next hair cut. With regards to the grey, you have a choice, accept and embrace or deny and cover up. I would say that the vast majority of males out there choose the latter…

Anonymous said...

Ah, D., who notices your hair when you've got such a handsome face?
LA

Anonymous said...

At least you have hair, grey or whatever colour. -A&A p'owner

D said...

Ah, it's my arch-nemesis, the Estonian. I see you have strayed from your Baltic home. According to your IP address, "Radisson Edwardian Hotels Is London's Largest Privately Owned Group".

New Guinea will be your last victory.

Anonymous said...

Hey, I found my first grey hair at nineteen and quickly pulled it out, so I know how you felt then. However, if I pulled every grey hair out now someone would give me a knitted cap to cover up the fact I MUST HAVE HAD CANCER!

Anonymous said...

Sorry, D. That early grey hair thing was a gift from me that came to me from my father who got it from his mom. There seems to be a trend here--mom to son. So your new little one might be safe unless R has this same tendency.

Mine started greying in my teens and pretty well covered all the brown by the time I was in my 40's. But I have "Loreal" and I have solved that problem for now.