Thursday, March 01, 2007

Chubby, Chubby, Chubby

Ultrasound Number 4 was today. Good news all around:

1. The "low-lying placenta" is not low-lying anymore.
2. The baby has turned into the proper position (head down).
3. All of the organs, body parts, etc. seem to be intact
4. The child is chubby, chubby, chubby

According to BabyCenter's Pregnancy Calendar (which was quoted here on Monday), the baby is supposed to be just under 3 pounds. According to their estimates, he's probably 4+ pounds, putting him in the 95th percentile. They measured the femur, the abdomen and the skull to come up with a weight estimate. The technician said the baby had quite a thick tummy and chubby face for his age. She got us a somewhat blurry picture of the face, partially obscured by a chubby little hand.


My little brother will be delighted, because he had an obsession with chubby cheeks when he was little. He used to pinch my cheeks all the time when we were growing up. Apparently, it all started when our grandma (dad's side) was driving us somewhere and he latched onto the gently swaying skin of her underarm, saying "Chubby, chubby, chubby..." Grandma was not terribly impressed and put a stop to it, but it was too late -- he couldn't stop after that. He had a constant desire to "chubby" people's cheeks, and my cheeks were the closest at hand. These days, he appraises babies on the quality of their cheeks. I think he will be very pleased with today's news (should he ever visit this blog).

While the doctor's report was nothing but good, it did not thrill R on all counts. She said afterwards that this means she needs to "psyche herself up for labour." You see, had the placenta remained low, she would have required a c-section. Now, she's on track for labour, knowing that she's got a chubby baby on the way.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

How exciting to see the little guy again! I'm so glad that everything looks good and that he is growing so well. That deserves a round of chubbies! Chubb-ay! Chubb-ay! Chubb-ay!

R, I know the idea of labor (or labour, I should say) and delivery seems daunting, but the recovery is so much faster than a c-section, which is a definite plus. I have found that the excitement and anticipation of finally seeing and holding this new baby does quite a bit to carry me through any trepidation in either form of delivery. You'll do great!

Anonymous said...

Great news ! Glad to hear that he seems to be quite healthy and all is well. I second what Allyson had to say about labour--it is true that all of it dims in your memory as soon as you see that sweet little baby.

We were just talking about T and Grandma W and "Chubbies" the other day. That was so funny because T (who was about 4 at the time) did not really think about what he was doing--he was just fascinated with the swaying skin. Just about drove Grandma W nuts. The start of a great family tradition--
Chubb-ay !

Jessica said...

Not all labours are horror stories. I was lucky enough to have quick and easy ones.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Jessica. All six of mine were quick and easy ones. Ken even popped out on the labor table as they were rushing me to the delivery room. Who says you need a special room for "delivey"? It is raising them when they are teen-agers that is hardest for me!

Anonymous said...

I'll be interesting to see if there are chubby cheeks and/ or high boned cheeks as that is the Walters gene from the Icelandic people. Also we all come with dimples which is cute.

Try not to think about labor until the time comes, unless you really want to study it, work out a plan, practice, etc. Glad all is healthy with the baby. Did the dr. give you the okay to fly to Calgary? Love Mom

jenjakob said...

In regards to childbirth - Jessica's babies were SMALL. Lucky gal. I've lived the dream of big, chubby, baby labours. I was induced with K (10 lb 13)- not fun. I went into labour on my own with Anders(9lb 12)it felt super-easy compared to K. My big advice is ... use the epidural if you need to. You may not need to, but it's there if things get intense. I resisted the epidural with K, and in retrospect I realize that I should've got it 12 hours into labour, not 18 hours. I believe that you'll have a good labour. Good luck :)

Aaron said...

So T is a fan of chubby cheeks AND using people as his teady bear. I remember T chasing around my little bro N, with open arms... "teady bear... teady bear"

We had a ultra sound about 5 weeks before Eman was born and the lady told us we had a big boy on our hands. Along with being a big boy she kept making comments how big his head was... not something you want to hear when you are planning on pushing this big headed child out of you at one point.

Good luck R! No worries :)

Anonymous said...

Don't worry too much about those ultrasounds. I had one a day before I had A and they predicted a 9 lb baby - which really freaked me out. When she came out she was 7 lbs 1 oz. Of course, L's aunt has a theory that heavy babies are actually easier to deliver because the weight helps with the whole gravity factor. I don't know if I agree, but maybe it'll make you feel better!!