Sunday, October 01, 2006

Sympathy Sickness

I have a question, and babycenter.com claims to have the answer:

Q: Why am I feeling sick all day long?
A:There's no single explanation for why you're feeling sick. Some combination of the many physical changes taking place in your body is probably responsible. Those changes include rapidly increasing estrogen levels, an enhanced sense of smell, excess stomach acids, and increased fatigue. Some researchers theorise that stress and emotions may also play a role in morning sickness.

I haven't felt very well for the last week, but I don't think it has anything to do with my estrogen levels. I've been stuffed up, sneezing, coughing, etc. This is about as sick as I've been in years, and I think I know the real reason why:

Sympathy symptoms.

Strangely, trusty old wikipedia doesn't have anything about this, but I've heard about it plenty. Usually, it's a tale about a guy who packed on the weight during his wife's pregnancy. Apparently, the symptoms can vary. Trusty old babycenter.com did a poll among expectant men about sympathy symptoms:


  • 27% - Yes, I think I'm gaining more weight than she is!

  • 15% - Yes, I'm pretty moody these days

  • 11% - Yes, I feel a bit nauseated

  • 23% - Yes, some or all of the above apply

  • 24% - No, I feel better than ever

According to this poll, I have at least 1:4 odds gaining weight, possibly as high as 1:2. This is not just a pound or two, either. You see, there's more than just a 7-pound baby in there. According to the babycenter.com breakdown, a woman can expect to gain 24 pounds by the end of her pregnancy. Note the wording of the poll: "I'm gaining more weight than she is". So, at least a quarter of the men polled were gaining 25 pounds or more! Wow. One last tidbit from the bc-breakdown:
Not so long ago, pregnant women used to be weighed every time they went for an antenatal check. Then doctors realised that this made a lot of women very anxious and in any case, wasn't a particularly good way of assessing how well the pregnancy was going.

No kidding they got anxious. The prospect of 25 pounds is enough to make me moody, and I'm only sitting at 1:4.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cheer up, this too shall pass. And don't expect to get as much sympathy as Rachelle gets! Your's in only in your mind, and her's is in her body! Can't symptathize too much, but do hope you get over your COLD!

Anonymous said...

Friends of ours had a baby and she gained more that 25 lbs, but what she gained he did as well, and so did their dog! Thing is after the baby arrived she got back to normal but dad and the dog are still sticking with their sympathy weight. Don't think I ever experienced any sort of sympathy symptoms but then again Jen keeps telling me I'm not a very sympathetic guy. Maybe next time I'll have to work on those sympathy symptoms.

Anonymous said...

So are there Grandma sympathy pains? I had an unusual craving this week for the cookies I loved to eat the week after my children were born. I could eat 5 a day. Needless to say, after I have eaten 5 a day for the last week, I won't be making those cookies soon again. Glad all is going well. Helen

Anonymous said...

Could it somehow be due to a lack of eggs? Just a thought...