Sunday, October 22, 2006

Costumeology

I missed doing a post yesterday. We were busy for most of the day running errands -- mainly hitting 2nd-hand shops and hardware stores to find elements of our halloween costumes. We set the bar pretty high with last year's costumes, and it's going to be quite a bit of work to get ourselves ready for this year.

Last year R and I were blue commanders from the board game RISK:2210. She was the Nuclear Commander and I was the Naval Commander. We rounded up items from Value Village (2nd hand), Home Depot and the Dollar Store, and built ourselves futuristic armour that we spray-painted blue with silver accents. At one party we went to, nobody had any clue what we were supposed to be, so we carried the little game pieces in our pocket so that we could show people. The next party we went to was with many of the people who play RISK:2210 with me, so they were much more excited about the outfits.


This year, the 3-month mark of R's pregancy was going to coincide quite closely with Halloween, we thought we would wait until then to tell people about the pregancy. WE had the idea to create a simple costume (scientist, police constable, natural gas salesman, etc), of which R would be the pregnant version and I would be the humpback version. In our minds, it was a fun and clever way to spread the news and have a unique costume. That idea didn't last very long, since we weren't able to keep the pregnancy under wraps for much more than a few days. We were just too excited, I guess.

Maybe everybody already knows about the pregnancy, but they don't know anything about our new costume idea. If we can get it all together, it will be almost as cool as last year -- but not quite as blue.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You two are so creative--I am sure that you will come up with something awesome. I think I will go as a Grandma--what a stretch !

Kage said...

I heart value village