Tuesday, October 17, 2006

What, no tuna?

There's a lot of stuff that comes with a pregnancy. There's all the emotions, all the cravings, all the excitement, and all the rest. These are things that I expected. I also expected that there would be few rules and recommendations that you would have to follow, things you would have to avoid. You know, you shouldn't smoke cigars and get drunk -- all the stuff that you've heard growing up.

Actually, the list is much longer. Here's a few more things to add:
1. raw seafood
2. albacore tuna / tuna steak
3. shark / swordfish / king mackerel / tilefish
4. unpasteurized milk / soft cheeses
5. foods with raw eggs
6. eggnog

Luckily, most of these these things are not a problem. R doesn't like any of them, except for tuna. We eat tuna nearly every week. Apparently, tuna absorb a lot mercury, which can be bad for the fetus' brain development. They say that you can probably handle 6 ounces each week (one serving) of albacore (white tuna), and 12 ounces of light tuna. We eat albacore. I was worried when I read this, so I mentioned it to R. She said she was already aware, and has been moderate in her consumption. This is a relief. I just wonder, why did babycenter wait until week 11 to tell us about it? I feel betrayed.

What about eggnog? I love eggnog. I also love pumpkin pie. I love eggnog and pumpkin pie together. Fortunately, I can still have them both, because I'm not pregnant. R is the pregnant one, and she hates them both. So, there's no problem. Of course, she could eat pumpkin pie if she wanted to -- it's not on the list. So why bring it up?

For quite a while, I've been polling people to see if they like eggnog and / or pumpkin pie. I used to think that there was a correlation, but now I'm not so sure. I believe the most recent conclusion I came to was that people who like eggnog may like pumpkin pie, but people who don't like eggnog don't like pumpkin pie. I may have that backwards, however.

All of that to say that R is NOT smoking cigars, eating soft cheeses, drinking alcohol, or drinking eggnog. She IS eating tuna, but in moderation. We'll soon learn about some more rules to add to our list, I'm sure.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I actually quite like pumpkin pie, but don't like eggnog; however, I generally adore eggs. Don't know what that does for your theory...

Anonymous said...

I'm a little late in responding. Don't know if people read late comments. For the record I like pumpkin pie and eggnog. I limit consumption of eggnog but could eat a whole pumpkin pie. Something was mentioned in my doula workshop about the omega 3 fatty acids (?) found in fish. They are important in avoiding stretch marks and episiotomies. Big factors in avoiding these things are genetics and skin integrity. Nutrition plays an important role in skin integrity and the omega 3 fatty acids are an important contributor. Saw a commercial for a margarine that adds omega 3 fatty acids to make it heart healthy (?). Wonder if there is mercury in a capsule supplement or supplemented margarine?