Monday, October 16, 2006

Large Lime

WEEK
11
There are two different fruits this week, so take your pick. The baby is somewhere between a large lime and a fig (according to YPWBW* and babycenter.com, respectively). Maybe I'll stick with the lime. A nice, healthy green lime seems much better than a wrinkly brown fig. Plus, a fig has negative connotations in some places.

I don't eat limes much. That's not really what limes are for. Their primary use seems to be a flavouring for drinks. Sprite is purported to be a lemon-lime soda. I don't know if I can really taste lime in there, but I'll take their word for it. Sprite is nice enough, but the poor lime has to share the limelight (groan) with the lemon. Lime's breakthrough role is really the Lime Rickey. During a family reunion last summer we were introduced to the (non-alcoholic version of the) Lime Rickey -- served from the soda fountain at a fast food chain called the Iceberg Drive Inn. This same place also sells onion rings that are frighteningly large. We're talking about immense onions. Unnaturally large onions. It's abnormal produce like these onions that render baby comparisons almost meaningless. Imagine a comparison in the coming weeks that reads: "This week your baby is the size of an onion." But is that an onion like they have at the Iceberg Drive Inn? Who knows?

The book also tells us R could feel a stirring inside that might seem like a little kick or an elbow moving. According to YPWBY, "If you think you feel your baby move at this time, you either have gas or are further along in your pregancy than you thought." Call me childish, but I thought this was hilarious. Yeah, what you thought was your baby -- it's the beans, darling.

I guess we're getting into the big growth spurt here. The length will double over the next 3 weeks. That's incredible. I think I heard somewhere that if a newborn baby continued to grow at the rate that it did during the pregancy, it would be as big as a battleship before too long. Yeah, I don't have any citation for that, but it stands to reason.

*Your Pregnancy Week By Week

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As I sit here coincidentally drinking a Hansen's Mandarin Lime drink, just had to comment. Arctic Circle has Lime-Rickey's too. I do love Iceberg's onion rings. Never seen any bigger. Grandma and Grandpa Walters went on many dates to the original Iceberg when we first lived in Murray. Not sure of the facts but seems I heard once that the baby grows at a "cancerous" rate and then some enzyme (?) kicks in that slows down the rate of growth. I think I heard this in conjunction with research into using what stops the babies rapid growth to slow down some cancers. What amazing things go on in creating our mortal shells. Any future size references to crustaceans?